Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
dododub

Default Issues connecting with MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018 using Catalina + a temporary fix

Couldn't get DisplayLink to work at all on my MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2018) with Catalina. Even a complete clean re-install didn't change anything. Connecting DisplayLink through USB-C resulted in blinking screen and the image never showed up on DisplayLink display.

Then I tried connecting through an Apple USB-C to USB connector to connect to the monitor instead USB-C directly...and now it does work. No charging is happening now through DisplayLink but screen + keyboard and mouse do work now.

A few issue persist:
- after disconnecting the DisplayLink cable wih the MacBook Pro closed results in the system becoming completely unresponsive. Requires a hard reboot to get it working again.
- Programs that activate the discrete GPU seem to not work properly. Photoshop doesn't function correctly and everything on the DisplayLink display becomes slow and displays visual errors. Same with Firefox and using google maps, which seems to trigger the discrete GPU as well.

This is the setup that is working for me now:

Last edited by dododub; 02-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.
dododub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
prdg.alex

Posted this on another thread but. try disabling "Automatic Graphics Switching" in System Preferences > Energy Saver. We've had similar issues and this seems to have stabilized the issue. It's really a workaround until DisplayLink figures out the root cause...
prdg.alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
m-kay

Default Same issue

I'm having the same issue also with a MacBook Pro 15" 2018. When I just plug in the cable from my dock I get a flickering screen. Sometimes I can manage to make it work by restarting when the cable is plugged-in, but this does not work reliably.
Turning of the "Automatic Graphics Switching" unfortunately did not work for me. I can confirm that the adapter workaround is working but this is not really a solution for me.

I have also tried the new DisplayLink macOS app beta and get the exact same behavior.

Any idea from DisplayLink how we could get around this issue???

Last edited by m-kay; 02-10-2020 at 12:31 PM.
m-kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
prdg.alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-kay View Post
I'm having the same issue also with a MacBook Pro 15" 2018. When I just plug in the cable from my dock I get a flickering screen. Sometimes I can manage to make it work by restarting when the cable is plugged-in, but this does not work reliably.
Turning of the "Automatic Graphics Switching" unfortunately did not work for me. I can confirm that the adapter workaround is working but this is not really a solution for me.

I have also tried the new DisplayLink macOS app beta and get the exact same behavior.

Any idea from DisplayLink how we could get around this issue???
What kind of dock do you have?
prdg.alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
Nomad

I have the same issue after loading 10.15.3 this morning. loaded display link drivers for Catalina successfully after several attempts.

Now my Dell U2412 displays are blank and my MAC PRO screen flickers.

Charger also not working...
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Nomad

Update: Updates firmware on DisplayLink D6000 using Dock_D6000_FW_Updater_A03_T8Y8T.exe

Back to normal now. Both displays and charger working.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
m-kay

Default Firmware Upgrade FTW!

Thanks Nomad!

I'm also using the Dell D6000 and indeed the firmware upgrade did the trick! Works like a charm now, with the new beta driver without kernel extension.
m-kay is offline   Reply With Quote