Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Sean

Default Blank screen in yosemite

I've got a displaylink usb 3 to hdmi dvi and gigabit adapter that i'm trying to use with mid 2013 macbook air and yosemite. Adapter is not recognized by system when connected to powered usb 3 hub. Adapter is recognized by system when connected directly to macbook air usb port. When connected to macbook air usb port, monitor connected to the dvi port on the adapter appears to be recognized by the system and shows up in system preferences but monitor has a blank screen. Monitor appears to be getting a signal however. Gigabit ethernet works fine with this config but not when the adapter is connected to a powered usb 3.0 hub. I'm using driver version 2.5. Please advise on a possble fix. Thanks
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I've got a displaylink usb 3 to hdmi dvi and gigabit adapter that i'm trying to use with mid 2013 macbook air and yosemite. Adapter is not recognized by system when connected to powered usb 3 hub. Adapter is recognized by system when connected directly to macbook air usb port. When connected to macbook air usb port, monitor connected to the dvi port on the adapter appears to be recognized by the system and shows up in system preferences but monitor has a blank screen. Monitor appears to be getting a signal however. Gigabit ethernet works fine with this config but not when the adapter is connected to a powered usb 3.0 hub. I'm using driver version 2.5. Please advise on a possble fix. Thanks
Hi Sean,

For the adapter not recognised when used through the hub you could try swapping out cables first to exclude problems with the hub.
In case it's the hub you may be able to find a firmware upgrade: our devices are quite complex USB 3 devices and we know of some old issues now resolved for most hub chip manufacturers.

About the blank DVI screen it could be a known issue that we're finally fixing at the moment. Is your screen 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?
We can check your debug logs to make sure it's the same issue, in case send them to us following the instructions at http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink

If you connect both the hub and the DisplayLink device at the same time (on different ports) I'll also check if we know of issues with the specific hub hardware and firmware.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Sean

Default blank screen in yosemite

Carlo, thanks for the reply. See attached log. Today I actually get a series of white and black lines on the display in question with random color corruption with the same config, displaylink adapter corrected directly to macbook air usb 3.0 port, same hub on the other port, displayport software version 2.5. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sean's Macbook Air_20160102_081825.zip (1.79 MB, 1 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
Sean

Carlo:

By the way, I disconnected the hub and now only the displaylink adapter is connected to the macbook air, same display corruption problem. Is this the displaylink software or hardware? Please confirm so that I can determine either which software version to use or return the displaylink adapter. Now the display has turned from colored lines to completely blank. See attached additional log files for the config described without the hub attached. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Sean

Default blank display in yosemite

And here's my second try for log upload below:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sean's Macbook Air_20160102_083823.zip (10.99 MB, 1 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi Sean,

So for the hub issue:
The logs show the device being briefly recognised but no longer being reachable at some point. It could still be a problem with the hub or maybe you have some virtualisation software running that is set up to capture the device? I'd check the settings for VirtualBox for example.
Unfortunately I can't tell from the logs the silicon manufacturer for the hub. One experiment to try is using a USB 2 cable between hub and device. Another using the hub with no other devices connected to it.

For the corruption issue:
Could not find specific errors in the logs. A picture of the display (not a screenshot) showing the corruption would give a pretty good idea if it's SW or HW.

Cheers,
Carlo
Old 01-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
rozzaz17

Default Newbie and checking status of HDCP

Hi - just wondering if there's any update on the HDCP problem when trying to play iTunes purchased movies with the DisplayLink driver installed?

Mac OSX 10.11.2
Using StarTEch USB3 - HDMI - model USB32HD4K
DELL U2515H as second screen to iMac

Even if I run in the iMac screen, same problem.

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

Try moving the iTunes window to a different display. Make sure the entire window is on the supported display."
rozzaz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzaz17 View Post
Hi - just wondering if there's any update on the HDCP problem when trying to play iTunes purchased movies with the DisplayLink driver installed?

Mac OSX 10.11.2
Using StarTEch USB3 - HDMI - model USB32HD4K
DELL U2515H as second screen to iMac

Even if I run in the iMac screen, same problem.

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

Try moving the iTunes window to a different display. Make sure the entire window is on the supported display."
No updates I'm afraid.

Apple has told us this is the intended behaviour while using the interfaces we have to use (yes, even playing on the internal screen...).We don't expect any changes to this outside of major OS upgrades.

Best regards,
Carlo