Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
fletom

Default issue 23431, internal screen blank after resuming from sleep

I just bought my first DisplayLink device to use with my 2015 MacBook Air, and it works pretty okay with small bugs here and there at the moment. The major frustration though, is bug #23431 that found in your release notes.

Quote:
In 10.12 Sierra, internal screen blank after resuming from sleep with password at wake up set. Disconnect the DisplayLink screen to recover. (23431)
I really don't want to have to fiddle with my USB ports every time I wake up my computer from sleep. So my question is, is this going to be fixed in the next release? Or should I return the adapter while I still can?

If a DisplayLink employee reads this, I also have another side-question. Is it normal for the DisplayLink driver processes to use ~65% (~55% DisplayLinkManager + ~10% DisplayLinkUserAgent) CPU when something like video is playing on the screen? With more static content it stays at a more reasonable few %.

Thanks!
fletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletom View Post
I just bought my first DisplayLink device to use with my 2015 MacBook Air, and it works pretty okay with small bugs here and there at the moment. The major frustration though, is bug #23431 that found in your release notes.

I really don't want to have to fiddle with my USB ports every time I wake up my computer from sleep. So my question is, is this going to be fixed in the next release? Or should I return the adapter while I still can?

If a DisplayLink employee reads this, I also have another side-question. Is it normal for the DisplayLink driver processes to use ~65% (~55% DisplayLinkManager + ~10% DisplayLinkUserAgent) CPU when something like video is playing on the screen? With more static content it stays at a more reasonable few %.

Thanks!
Hi,

About the sleep issue in Sierra we can recommend to open a bug with Apple at bugreporter.apple.com to increase the priority of this issue with them.
We are seeing good response from Apple so far as you can see by the already fixed issues.

About the CPU it depends on the resolution but yes that amount of CPU can be expected when the whole screen is updating. As you have noticed, we only use CPU and bandwidth when something is updating on the screen.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi,

About the sleep issue in Sierra we can recommend to open a bug with Apple at bugreporter.apple.com to increase the priority of this issue with them.
We are seeing good response from Apple so far as you can see by the already fixed issues.

About the CPU it depends on the resolution but yes that amount of CPU can be expected when the whole screen is updating. As you have noticed, we only use CPU and bandwidth when something is updating on the screen.

Best regards,
Carlo
About the sleep issue
We the consumers can rec ommend YOU to solve the matter or stop selling this crap
I cant even get a screen on startup its black
I have to pluig my sony tv in and load the startscreen on that, and only Then will the ASUS MB169+ illuminate

restart or startup using the MB169+ does not initiate the display. the on/off button does not affect it and remains orange instead of white.
Only way this screen works is as secondary screen
Mouse stutter, and slow to drag, it flickers, the screen flickers a lot when video is playing

Its no use saying 'we know about this issue' or 'apple say this is expected'
because we the consumers dont care about that, what we care about is 'does this 180$ thing work, or am i going to be say frustrtrating myself on help forums and listening to 'you can send a bug report to Apple, but they will ignore it like they always do'

we are not here to do all your bug reporting. We are paying customers, who are feeling very hard done by with this unusable product, which you are making weak excuses for
The product is impotent. It is YOU at ASUS who must make it work, before releasing it, instead of getting paying customers to discover all the things you never tested, because of 'it is cheaper release it in imperfect status, to piss off the customers and get feedback, than it is to pay our developers to test all possible scenarios'
result; people like me who wont ever buy an ASUS Product again. and loads of bad PR on your forums from people complaining about the problems

two weeks now with this display, and im ready to go get a mains powered display again because its driving me mad, with so many issues and bugs.

Attaboy thats the way to sell your faulty displays - Use the paying customer as a Bug Finder and Reporter for free. You should pay people to find the bugs and fix them, not use the paying customer to discover them after purchase
All i can say further, is that i am extremely disappointed and angry about how this product is not working, and cannot work properly. I find the responses here from ASUS to be offering no solutions, except ask us to file a bug report.
I believe it is ASUS who have to find a way around it, not Apple
The product would be a world changer if it worked, but it does not work properly, and has many many problems, ranging from Mission Control, to mouse lag, screen flicker, bad graphics displaying with displacement,no HDCP compliance.. damn i wish i had bought the non hd version cheaper, as the 1080p version still doesnt play HDCP movies from iTunes anyway. Actually i wish id never bought this screen at all

Last edited by Spencer; 11-21-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Dear Spencer,

I'm sorry to hear you are this frustrated.
My personal observation about the SW industry is definitely going in the direction you are implying: quick automated testing and whoever has a borderline use case has to beta test and suffer. Suffer for every single release.

We strive to do better than this and we're sorry if this is not your experience.

About the Sierra issues, if you use the same product on El Capitan they're not there. If you use another USB or wireless screen, not made by DisplayLink, they show the same issue.
We don't want to hack the operating system even if we always try to find workarounds. so often we can't provide a solution for OS defects.
As proven by the three Sierra critical issues already resolved by Apple, raising bugs with them does indeed work. It's not a blame shifting exercise: we want to enable all Macs to use the widest choice of external screens and the best way to do so right now is giving feedback to the operating system dev team because they are incredibly talented and could make the whole virtual screen experience much better if they focused on it.

About the other issues you've seen, clearly things have not worked out for you. I have followed your posts and if you have not done already I'd suggest to open a bug with us at support.displaylink.com so we can help out more in detail.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
wrbluepearl

Default What specifically should we report to Apple

I'm encountering this problem myself under Sierra (using beta release 16D30a) - I've already gone a couple of rounds with Apple for other issues with the 2016 Retina MacBook (I encountered the flickering screen connected by USB-C to HDMI problem last year) and had success. The question I have is - is there some specific issue that the DisplayLink driver developers have detected that I can report to Apple? Or do I just say, "when I have a USB-connected external monitor hooked up the internal display sometimes doesn't wake up?"

I should note that for me, at least, this problem is intermittent - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I've been able to recover by simply closing, then re-opening the MacBook.
wrbluepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbluepearl View Post
I'm encountering this problem myself under Sierra (using beta release 16D30a) - I've already gone a couple of rounds with Apple for other issues with the 2016 Retina MacBook (I encountered the flickering screen connected by USB-C to HDMI problem last year) and had success. The question I have is - is there some specific issue that the DisplayLink driver developers have detected that I can report to Apple? Or do I just say, "when I have a USB-connected external monitor hooked up the internal display sometimes doesn't wake up?"

I should note that for me, at least, this problem is intermittent - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I've been able to recover by simply closing, then re-opening the MacBook.
Hi,

I'd simply open a bug describing the issue and with your system profile. It may be useful to refer to our own bug ID about this issue: 27765729

Best regards,
Carlo
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
zaxy78

Cool Submitted a bug @ Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi,

I'd simply open a bug describing the issue and with your system profile. It may be useful to refer to our own bug ID about this issue: 27765729

Best regards,
Carlo
I submitted a bug, and mentioned also your bug.
Also I've attaches Logs and 2 TimingSnoop logs - before and after the sleep.
zaxy78 is offline   Reply With Quote