Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
louisrodruigez

Default Pluggable UD-3900 having problems connecting to two monitors with MacBook Air

I've recently bought a used UD-3900 and it's been working fine with the past user. I bought it from him because of work that i needed to do on my 2013 MacBook Air that my at home PC couldn't do. Setting up everything else was a breeze, but when i downloaded the drivers because the two monitors wouldn't be recognized once it was connected, but once downloaded, i tried using it with the laptop closed but every few 10 seconds or so my two monitors turned off, and then turn back on, but they would stay on if i had the laptop open

Does this have to do anything with old drivers or is the whole thing just old?
louisrodruigez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisrodruigez View Post
I've recently bought a used UD-3900 and it's been working fine with the past user. I bought it from him because of work that i needed to do on my 2013 MacBook Air that my at home PC couldn't do. Setting up everything else was a breeze, but when i downloaded the drivers because the two monitors wouldn't be recognized once it was connected, but once downloaded, i tried using it with the laptop closed but every few 10 seconds or so my two monitors turned off, and then turn back on, but they would stay on if i had the laptop open

Does this have to do anything with old drivers or is the whole thing just old?
My impression based on your description is that the docking station is working as expected when the laptop lid is open. However, when you close the laptop lid the displays connected to the dock cycle on and off.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Presuming for the moment that my understanding is correct...

Using the laptop with the lid closed is known as clam shell mode or closed display mode. In certain circumstances, clam shell mode may not work and this depends upon the version of macOS you are running on your system and the version of the DisplayLink driver you have installed.

Can you please let us know:

1. Which version of macOS you are running? For example, macOS 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur (your model Mac is not supported by macOS 12 Monterey --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212551 )

2. Which version of the DisplayLink Graphics Manager software you have installed? For example, DisplayLink Graphics Manager version 1.5

That information will help us to determine if clam shell mode is supported in your specific case.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote