Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
akadambi

Unhappy Ethernet Link not working on Windows 10

After a recent Windows update, the Ethernet connection through my Superspeed 3.0 USB dock is no longer working. The connection repeatedly tries to establish, but fails.

If I plug the Ethernet cable into my computer directly, it works perfectly.

I am running a Dell Precision M3800, Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192.

I've also tried another laptop with this dock, and the same problem arises, so it is not specific to the computer or the Ethernet cable.

I have tried removing the device, reinstalling the latest drivers, etc. (all the usual fixes) to no avail.

Any advice appreciated.
akadambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
ImCoKeMaN

I am having the same issues, I can't confirm the exact status of when it changed as I've used multiple docks, and some with wireless, but I have a Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock which used to work perfectly. Now when I plug in the Ethernet it takes a little before link lights come on, and the connection seems to cycle on and off multiple times in a given 10 minute period. When it's off it acts like the cable is disconnected.

Again this same dock, port etc, used to work perfectly. Also, I've done 2 major troubleshooting steps that are pointing me to think this is actually a software issue:

1. I used a USB Ethernet adapter plugged into the dock and the Ethernet got link lights and was stable at a full duplex 1Gbps.

2. I swapped the dock for another unit of the same model, it had the same issues.

I find it hard to believe all of a sudden 2 docks had a bad port.

So here are my current stats:
Windows 14393.1944
Displaylink 8.4.3026.0
Lenovo USB Ethernet 8.4.2815 file version 2.34.19.0

I have also tried rolling back displaylink and Lenovo usb Ethernet drivers, but haven't found a successful combination.
ImCoKeMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Exdom

Hi, I am having the exact same issue here.
Ethernet adapter with connecting / disconnecting evry 10 seconds.

The computer is Acer SPIN with Windows 10 1709 16299.192
The docking station is the V7 brand model UDDS-1E

The same issue has been confirmed on a second docking station and with another computer using the same windows 10 version.

I have tried removing the device, reinstalling the latest drivers, it's a big issue.

All was working perfectly before some windows update.

We need a fast answer and a solution.

Last edited by Exdom; 01-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Exdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

The last link of my forum signature explains how to use the Customer Support Tool to package the logs.
You can then post the ZIP file generated by the tool in your post for analysis.

I'd need logs from each of you as there is no data today to be 100% certain your issue is strictly identical in root cause, even it sounds like an identical effect.
This will also help the engineering team understand what takes place on different machines/peripherals.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
ImCoKeMaN

There do seem to be multiple variables. I am able to use this same adapter at work on the same computer without issue. So it appears to be specific to the combination of the displaylink and network. Perhaps ip ranges, or differences in spec between ports on my home router vs work that would trigger this outcome, but remember the home network does work on other adapters outside this displaylink one, and it was working perfectly up until recently with no physical changes to home network, but PC updates, and displaylink drivers were updated.

I'll see if i can get the logs. Do we need to do that whole uninstall reinstall stuff, or just capture logs from when it works, disconnects, reconnects?

Edit:
Sent logs.
It appears it may be related to autonegotiate in some way as it is showing as 100Mbps when my port is 1Gbps and worked that way before, as well as on other adapters/computers on this same wire. At 100Mbps this has stayed connected for over 10 minutes, but it has since failed and I've sent the logs via email. As I was sending it reconnected at 1.0Gbps, but disconnected even more quickly.

Last edited by ImCoKeMaN; 01-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.
ImCoKeMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Thumbs up

Thank you for the first logs, ImCoKeMaN.
I've put their analysis as expedited to the engineering team. The firmware logs show the reneg, I looked before handing it over to them.
As soon as I have more info or if we need more details, I'll comment here or on the ticket.

Having logs from other readers' machines would be helpful too, please.

Kind regards,
Alban

My references: 27140 + UV 10105.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
sigge

Default Same problem

Hi!
We have the same problem.
Running big switches, Cisco,
100 mbit - OK
1 Gbit - Not OK
Client . Windows 10
sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Wim

For those with an issue with Ethernet dropping the link, can you make sure you are using v8.6 or later. This bug fix was made in 8.6 which may solve the issue for some users:

Ethernet autonegotiation may fail to establish a link when the Ethernet cable does not have all 4 pairs present (27903)

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dell, docking station, ethernet