Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #101
Embo

Default X1 Carbon Touch /

Windows pro 8

Upgrading to 7.2 MI display driver seemed to fix the mouse lag, but introduced (much worse) intermittent screen blurriness. Can last anywhere from a few to many seconds..

Have experimented with :
changed DisplayLink manager priority to high
Swopped out wireless mouse / keyboard for wired ones.
Upgraded BIOS (and all other upgrades via Lenovo System Update)

Don't really know where to go from here. Its enough of an issue to make working on a separate display impossible.

Last edited by Embo; 06-07-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Embo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #102
Embo

Default Dvi-d / dvi-i

Switching from the bottom port to the top port fixed this issue [holding thumbs]. not sure what would happen if i tried to use a second display
Embo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #103
mike

I've got the issue whether I use one external display or two. Same behavior.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #104
roeebar

Same here (Lenovo X1 Carbon). Even after updating to 7.2 build above - mouse jumps are still an issue. Changing the power plan to "High performance" might help a little. Fuzzy image problems are "solved" after Windows restart.
roeebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #105
JesseAaronSafir

Hey everybody! I just read this whole thread. I have been frustrated for months with the same issues as everyone else. Here's my setup:

Lenovo ThinkPad W510 with BIOS 1.45.1.21
Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6GHz (8 logical processors)
4GB RAM
Win8 Enterprise 64-bit
NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M with driver 9.18.13.2000 from 2013-04-18
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Lenovo USB 3.0 dock with driver 7.2.46733.0 from 2013-03-19 (DisplayLink)
Lenovo USB 3.0 to DVI monitor adapter with driver 7.2.46733.0 (DisplayLink)
DisplayLink Display Adapter (4311) with driver 7.2.46733.0 (DisplayLink)
DisplayLink Display Adapter (4302) with driver 7.2.46733.0 (DisplayLink)
Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic Desktop 7000
Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard 7000
Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 7000
USB extension cable to put Microsoft Wireless 2.4GHz Receiver v1.0 inches from keyboard
ThinkPad Display 1600x900
Lenovo D221 Wide DVI monitor (1680x1050)
Lenovo D221 Wide DVI monitor (1680x1050)
Lenovo L220xwC DVI monitor (1920x1200)
All the latest Lenovo driver, BIOS, firmware updates installed via Lenovo System Update 5

I have experienced the horrible intermittent fuzziness on my monitors. At times the fuzziness would affect one monitor at a time but at other times it would affect all monitors at the same time. And at other times the intermittent monitor fuzziness would go away completely for a while. But when my computer is working properly, I'm very hesitant to undock it or shut it down in fear that the problems will return. I have also had very frustrating mouse freezes and keyboard unresponsiveness where keystrokes are missing. I tried using a USB extension cable to put the 2.4GHz wireless receiver inches from my mouse and keyboard but that hasn't helped. I have noticed that if my cell phone (HTC Evo 3D) is anywhere near my keyboard, it seems that the keyboard and mouse problems get worse.

I have the latest drivers and firmware installed for the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock and I installed the latest DisplayLink drivers directly from DL. I also have the latest video driver directly from NVIDIA for the Quadro FX 880M. I set my power plan to "High performance" and it does seem to have helped somewhat but not completely resolved the issue. The "Processor power management"->"Minimum processor state"->"Plugged in" setting is at 100%.

Also, I've tried running everything through the single USB 3.0 connection back to the ThinkPad W510. In other words, I have only the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock plugged into he ThinkPad and then all other USB devices, audio, Ethernet, DVI connections are all running through it. The reason I run it this way is that I found that when I plugged other USB devices directly into the ThinkPad (such as hard drives, iPod, Android phone), it would cause the displays (connected to the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock) to flick off to black temporarily.

It looks like this idea wouldn't apply in my case since my eXtensible USB 3.0 Host Controller is "Renesas" instead of "Intel"?
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers

And yes, this is USB 3.0 2.4GHz wireless interference is VERY interesting:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=340

I already have my 2.4GHz keyboard/mouse receiver about 3 feet from the ThinkPad W510 (with several USB 3.0 ports) and the ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock and yet I still get interference that causes the keyboard and mouse to not work consistently. I could, for now, plug the 2.4GHz wireless receiver into the ThinkPad W510's USB 2.0 port. That might help. But going forward, I thought I'd only be using one USB port to connect to all my peripherals. I will be getting a Lenovo ThinkPad Helix soon and was planning to connect it to the USB 3.0 dock. I wonder if it's okay to have the USB 2.0 2.4GHz wireless receiver connected to a USB 3.0 port at all?

I haven't tried the attached 7.2M1 "with freezing fix" DisplayLink drivers yet. I'll probably try that next.

In theory, is there any reason that I shouldn't be able to run multiple DVI displays off a single USB 3.0 connection (currently I have 3 external DVI displays) as well as a USB 3.0 hard drive, USB 2.0 hard drives, keyboard/mouse, webcam, GigE Ethernet, USB audio?
JesseAaronSafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #106
JesseAaronSafir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi All

I've attached a development build of 7.2 M1 but includes a fix for the momentary screen freezing that I suspect is responsible for some of the "mouse freezing" or "mouse lag" posts on here.

As a reminder, if you are using a wireless mouse, make sure you are not getting USB 3.0 interference as covered in this article.

Please let me know if this improves the mouse behaviour.

Wim
Wim...what's the driver version of the one you posted as an attachment. Is it newer than 7.2.47873.0 from 2013-05-10?

Edit: I downloaded it and found that it's 7.2.48041.0, which is newer. The build date is 2013-05-16. I'll try that now then.

Okay so I've tried installing 7.2.48041.0 but I can't get Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit to use these drivers. It said it installed successfully and rebooted but Device Manager still shows Driver Version 7.2.46733.0 from 2013-03-19 installed. I've even tried uninstalling all Lenovo USB and DisplayLink drivers, telling Windows to delete the drivers, rebooting, and then reinstalling from this installer but it still keeps putting back the old drivers. I'd love any tips about how to get the latest drivers installed.

Last edited by JesseAaronSafir; 06-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.
JesseAaronSafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #107
ITDrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijio View Post
Something happened recently. Now my computer is basically unusable while docked. The mouse lag is insanely bad to the point that it jumps across the screen an inch at a time. The network performance is degraded so webpages and files load very slowly. Moving windows around the screen stupidly slow. It was working ish for the past few weeks and the mouse would only freeze once every few seconds now it is like I'm using a 10 year old computer even though it is a top of the line lenovo.

It has been MONTHS since this problem was identified. The amazon reviews show that everyone hates this crap and its ruining your reputation. Please give this problem the attention it is clearly widespread and clearly a major problem. I can't do my job because of this and that isn't okay.

As I'm typing this sentance the characters are bunching up and appearing in groups because the shitty displaylink software can't keep up with the input. It s currently using 8-10% CPU and all I'm doing doing is typing on a webpage. It feels like I'm working over a shitty VNC connection on dialup.

I'm running the latest drivers (according to lenovo's driver update software)
I'm up to date in windows update
I'm running the latest usb 3.0 dock driver from lenovo's site
I'm running the latest dock firmware
I'm running the latest beta drivers from wim on this forum
I've got power management set to high performance mode
I stopped using a wireless mouse and am using a wired one
I'm running the latest graphics drivers

I don't know what else to try, I'm at your mercy. Please fix this. Please.
Are you running TPFanControl? If so, try shutting it off.
ITDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #108
Wim

OK - There seem to be a number of different issues being raised in this thread, but with the same symptoms.

For those that are still seeing mouse lag (or more correctly, the screen freezing for a second or so when moving anything around the screen) can you try the 7.4 beta for Windows 8.1

This includes a further fix for this issue, that seems rarer, but could be affecting some of the users on this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61769

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #109
Timbiotic

I had some of the lag and fuzziness, tried the beta drivers and pc would not boot at first, then started turning on and off the USB 3 docking station. Completely removed these 7.4 drivers and installed the ones from the web page 7.3. With the high performance setting I can live with it. Not sure what causes 7.4 to go crazy. Will try again on next release.
Timbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #110
acidfire52

I have updated to the latest BETA driver, works OK, but still laggy and slow.
I am running a Lenovo Helix
Win 8 Pro
Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock, using LAN, both DVI, and 2 USB 2.0.
2x Lenovo 1920x1080 monitors
All drivers and firmwares up to date

It works OK for me. Screen slows down some times, scrolling is universally slow. Moving my scroll wheel, pauses before actually scrolling down.
The whole desktop experience feels slow running on this dock. Mouse is slow, always hesitates when moving. Actually has a delay when you move you mouse over icons in the task bar.

It is usable, just barely, but not enjoyable at all.
acidfire52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
input device, lag, windows 8