Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2023, 03:32 AM   #1
maxdecarvalho@icloud.com

Question MacbookAir M1 with Ventura IOS with HP Dock G5 only mirroring external monitors

I have a MacbookAir M1 running Ventura IOS 13.4.1 and I have 2 external monitors connected to a HP Dock G5 and I can only mirroring external monitors. How can I change it to extended mode?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Max
maxdecarvalho@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

The HP Dock G5 does not have our chip built into it and therefore will not communicate with our software.

The reason your monitors are mirrored is the chip included in your Mac. In November 2020, Apple released a new line of Mac computers built using their newly designed ARM-based M1 chip. The M1 is the first Apple-designed system on a chip (SoC) that has been developed for use in Mac computers and marks the company’s transition away from Intel chips. As with the Intel-powered Mac computers, the new M1 Mac computers are compatible with DisplayLink powered devices.

Due to the chipset included in the new M1 Mac computers, they are unable to support dual “extended” external monitors through their Thunderbolt 3 ports. While you can still use a Thunderbolt 3 dock with the new M1 line of Mac computers to charge your laptop and gain USB, ethernet, and audio connections, you will only be able to use a single monitor while connected to these docks. As a result the external monitors will either mirror each other or a single display will work.

This is not a limitation of the docks, but of the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the new M1-based Mac. This limitation is not present on Intel-based Mac computers.

For more information on the Apple M1 chipset, please visit the Apple website at https://apple.com/mac/m1/.

DisplayLink is able to provide support for up to four external monitors in extend or mirror mode despite the Mac limitation. If you are interested in our products please check products advertised on our webpage: DisplayLink Products

For more questions about your docking station please contact HP directly.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote