Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
wave_runner

Default Displaylink keeps reinstalling

Hi. I'm new here. Please help me to get rid of this software for once and for all. I finally managed to kill this thing in Windows 7 (can't remember how now), but after doing a new install of Windows 10 and connecting my Toshiba Dynadock, it's back. I've uninstalled the program about 30 times. I've used the End User cleaner about 30 times. I've deleted anything on my C drive that has anything to do with Displaylink, but sure enough, a couple of minutes after I reboot, it's back asking to be installed again. I always hit "cancel" and yet it always somehow reinstalls itself.

Is there any way to get this out of my life forever?

Thanks in advance!
wave_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,
When you add a USB peripheral to Windows, its drivers install automatically. That's a Windows feature.
Therefore, when you connect your docking station, Windows fetches the drivers for it and installs them.
Your Toshiba Dynadock uses DisplayLink technology and therefore needs drivers to work.
To answer your question, you can either not use any docking station or disconnect your computer from the Internet. However, you will lose the benefit of additional monitors through USB.
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
wave_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arampon View Post
Hello,
When you add a USB peripheral to Windows, its drivers install automatically. That's a Windows feature.
Therefore, when you connect your docking station, Windows fetches the drivers for it and installs them.
Your Toshiba Dynadock uses DisplayLink technology and therefore needs drivers to work.
To answer your question, you can either not use any docking station or disconnect your computer from the Internet. However, you will lose the benefit of additional monitors through USB.
Thanks. Here's the thing, I'm not using multiple monitors and as such the docking station works just fine without the Displaylink software or drivers. As I said, I experienced this years ago with Windows 7, and found a way to stop it from re-installing. I can't recall how exactly, but I think I was able to block the software download. I can't seem to figure out how to do that with Windows 10.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hello wave_runner,
Your docking station from Toshiba might use DisplayLink technology for audio and network too. You could try disabling the devices you don't want in the Device Manager, making them non-functional.
Windows 10 has changed a few things and you cannot decline a critical update, without putting your hands in the engine.
Alban.
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:27 AM   #5
wave_runner

Thanks. I tried disabling the device in the device manager, but that hasn't done it.
Hopefully someone will come up with a way to permanently kill this in Windows 10.