Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2023, 09:50 PM   #1
jesmcl

Default MBA M2 won't connect to 2 Monitors

I had found how to get 2 external monitors to work on my 2019 MBP. I have a docking station with 2 Dell Monitors plugged in via HDMI (+ other peripherals) that works for my work PC and worked for my mid-2019 MBP 16". I do believe I had DisplayLink installed on the MBP.

For my MBP, I would plug the dock into 1 thunderbolt port on the MBP + plug 1 monitor connected to a displayport adapter into another thunderbolt port. Viola! 2 working external monitors for my MBP (3 if I left my lid open).

Now, I have updated to a 2023 MBA 15" M2 and when I plug the dock in one port and the adapter in the other, I cannot get both monitors to work independently like they did with the MBP. I either only get 1 monitor (via the adapter) or mirrored (via the dock). The MBA decides which it's going to give me based on which was plugged in first.

I installed DisplayLink 1.10.0 (Build 117) and allowed screen recording. Any advice?
jesmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:56 AM   #2
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello, unfortunately both the docking station and the video adapter you shared are not using DisplayLink technology - meaning, they do not have our chip built into them. Because of it they will not communicate with our software. The FALWEDI product description suggests presence of MST hub in the dock which is supported in Windows but not in MacOS. Also they state that it is not recommended connecting additional hubs, docks or adapter to their product.
If you wish to get more information about this device, please contact FALWEDI directly.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
jesmcl

Thank you for the speedy response! I ordered a different DP adapter that should work with DL. I understand your comment about the hub saying it is not recommended, but it worked on my old MBP so I'm hoping just a better (hopefully truthfully DL) adapter fixes this issue.
jesmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:09 PM   #4
jifbrodeur

Smile MBA (with ARM Cpu M1,M2,M3) restricted to a single monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmcl View Post
Thank you for the speedy response! I ordered a different DP adapter that should work with DL. I understand your comment about the hub saying it is not recommended, but it worked on my old MBP so I'm hoping just a better (hopefully truthfully DL) adapter fixes this issue.
There are no adapter that fixes this, Apple restricted there MBA to a single external monitor, Intel MB never had such a restriction. To overcome the limitation you need a dock station that supports display link technology.
Sorry
Jean-François, a happy user of MBA 15 w/2 external monitor using a wavlinl dock
jifbrodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
jesmcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifbrodeur View Post
There are no adapter that fixes this, Apple restricted there MBA to a single external monitor, Intel MB never had such a restriction. To overcome the limitation you need a dock station that supports display link technology.
Sorry
Jean-François, a happy user of MBA 15 w/2 external monitor using a wavlinl dock
You are right, I tried two different adapters and neither worked. Do you mind linking me to the dock that you use?
Old 12-31-2023, 12:23 AM   #6
webby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmcl View Post
You are right, I tried two different adapters and neither worked. Do you mind linking me to the dock that you use?
I note that the docking station you already have has USB-A & USB-C ports so a possibly cheaper option than replacing the dock would be to buy a USB-A/C->HDMI/DP displaylink adaptor and then just plug it into one of your docks USB ports to connect the 2nd external monitor...basically the same as you did previously with your MBP setup.

This is what I do on my MBA M2 13"
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:36 AM   #7
jesmcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
I note that the docking station you already have has USB-A & USB-C ports so a possibly cheaper option than replacing the dock would be to buy a USB-A/C->HDMI/DP displaylink adaptor and then just plug it into one of your docks USB ports to connect the 2nd external monitor...basically the same as you did previously with your MBP setup.

This is what I do on my MBA M2 13"
I tried and that didn't work. I've already purchased a new dock and am up and running again. Thanks, though!