Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
dlee96

Did some more testing and did get snow under some circumstances.

The following configuration is reproducible and results in snow on the display:
1. Clamshell mode + external display (primary). Then unplug the display, you'll get snow on the Macbook Pro.

Most configurations where an external display was set to the primary and then I disconnect, I would get snow and have to hard reboot. It would be nice if this was fixed.

-dlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmperry View Post
MacBook Pro alone gets a blue screen with a mouse cursor, but never gets to the login screen. Plugging in an external monitor made no difference. Forced reboot after that led to the snowy screen.

Newest MBPro 15" i7 w/1680x1050 screen here.

-Bill
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #32
btg194

Default Verify Findings

I can verify what dlee96 has reported. I've disabled the Automated Graphics Setting but this is not how this product should function. Any updates?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #33
macbookproi5

I saw the beta 3 driver was released about 2 weeks ago so I just tried it hoping that when I boot up with the driver installed and nothing connected to my macbook I wouldn't get the blue/hazy screen but I still do.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #34
AudiB8

Same issues as all of you guys 15 core i7 - blue screen, lined screen, and stalled boot. Curious to see how this turns out because it was awesome to have dual externals while it lasted
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #35
npinchot

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookproi5 View Post
I saw the beta 3 driver was released about 2 weeks ago so I just tried it hoping that when I boot up with the driver installed and nothing connected to my macbook I wouldn't get the blue/hazy screen but I still do.

I have a very simliar (possibly the same) issue. I had troubles with the EVGA UV16+ recognizing the proper resolution the monitor supported, so I bought a Diamond BVU195.

Things work great when my Diamond BVU195 is connected and the beta 3 driver installed. However, if I have the DisplayLink beta 3 driver installed and boot up without the BVU195 connected, I get stuck on a blue screen. It is the same blue screen that appears momentarily when I first boot up with the BVU195 connected before the monitor plugged into it gets recognized by OS X.

It's really annoying to have to make sure I uninstall the driver before I leave the office (obviously I can boot in safe mode and remove the driver - but this is equally annoying). I really appreciate that the driver allows me to have 2 external monitors with a laptop, but this is quite annoying - please fix this issue ASAP!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #36
Carlo
Mac Team

After quite some research I think I can say that there is not much we can safely do in our software.
The problem happens (not always) on the screens connected to the laptop's GPU when a software-only screen is used.
This is happening with all products that use a similar technical solution and I think the safest thing to do is to wait for Apple to fix this issue. They are aware.
Next thing I wanted to try is 10.6.5 but at the moment the problem disappeared from my i7 test machine... the usual developer curse.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #37
npinchot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
After quite some research I think I can say that there is not much we can safely do in our software.
The problem happens (not always) on the screens connected to the laptop's GPU when a software-only screen is used.
This is happening with all products that use a similar technical solution and I think the safest thing to do is to wait for Apple to fix this issue. They are aware.
Next thing I wanted to try is 10.6.5 but at the moment the problem disappeared from my i7 test machine... the usual developer curse.
Carlo, I can appreciate that the technical portion of the issue is not your issue, however, is there no fix you can implement? Even something as simple as a popup each time my laptop starts up asking if I want to start the driver would be better than the current situation (of having to uninstall and reinstall the driver on a daily basis). Or, perhaps hold down a certain key while the system is booting to make the driver load. Even an application I need to go into to start the driver.

There must be something you can implement that would be better than the current situation.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #38
zoemacuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinchot View Post
Carlo, I can appreciate that the technical portion of the issue is not your issue, however, is there no fix you can implement? Even something as simple as a popup each time my laptop starts up asking if I want to start the driver would be better than the current situation (of having to uninstall and reinstall the driver on a daily basis). Or, perhaps hold down a certain key while the system is booting to make the driver load. Even an application I need to go into to start the driver.

There must be something you can implement that would be better than the current situation.
Or, perhaps, a System Preferences pane that allows one to switch the DisplayLink driver on and off, thus making it unnecessary for us to install and uninstall it.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #39
mastahype

Some of you are suffering the same fate a few of us did with the sleep issue in terms of needing to restart the driver. The latest b3 driver has all but eliminated that issue for me (just minor, infrequent issues). You can use keyboard shortcuts via third-party apps or the active/hot corners with expose. The former can run custom commands (like scripts to restart the driver/server). The latter can put the display to sleep (which can also be done with the former).

I use BetterTouchTool with keyboard shortcuts to either sleep my display or run commands to stop/restart displaylink driver+server. I don't think a popup is good for doing this. I used sleepwatcher to automatically do that when the MBP slept and woke.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #40
maidelba

Default Same issue!

I'm a sysadmin for a company and have a bunch of these displaylink adapters for our Mac's. On my machine and someone else's machine we've seen this same issue. If I boot up without the adapter connected, I can't login and only see a blurred screen with horizontal lines. I have a new Core i7 mac laptop.
This is really bad because now I can't even use the adapter because I have to uninstall the software each time. Please let me know when this has been fixed, it's a major issue for us!

Thanks!
Mitch
email: maidelba@gmail.com