Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #21
khamer

This is the only way to get more than one external monitor on an linux ultrabook like Lenovo's X1 Carbon. Kickstarter this if you have to - this needs to happen.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #22
winjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamer View Post
This is the only way to get more than one external monitor on an linux ultrabook like Lenovo's X1 Carbon. Kickstarter this if you have to - this needs to happen.
Yup, I'd pay for this.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Dan
Banned

Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon. In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!

We have many products available which should allow an X1 to have extra screens, just not USB 3.0 currently.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
winjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon. In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!

We have many products available which should allow an X1 to have extra screens, just not USB 3.0 currently.
Unfortunately the Lenovo USB 3.0 Hub is the thing I actually have :/

Is there anything I can to do to help?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #25
gazpel

Quote:

Bummer. Your website still states that linux support for usb3 is coming 'in the near future' though (but it's been that way for more than 6 months now):

Quote:
The DL-3000 series currently supports recent Windows platforms including Windows Multipoint Server 2010/2011, with support for Apple Mac OS and Linux scheduled in the near future.
My current impression is that you estimate a very low demand for a linux solution and thus do not put any resources behind it. I kind of like the Idea to use crowdfunding to solve this.

Also, did you reach out to the linux community to ask for improvements/help? With the advent of Ultrabooks with usb3.0 i acutally see some demand, especially for the road-warrior/developer type which is typically also found among linux developers.

Last edited by gazpel; 01-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
mingy

I really believe that if they'd just release the specs of the device to the world there'd be a driver in no time. My bet is that the they bought there "content protection" from a third party, which does not want it's tech disclosed (or maybe the the code's license used implementing the DRM is not GPL compatible). My prediction is that there will never be a open source drive available for that device series.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpel View Post
Bummer. Your website still states that linux support for usb3 is coming 'in the near future' though (but it's been that way for more than 6 months now):

My current impression is that you estimate a very low demand for a linux solution and thus do not put any resources behind it. I kind of like the Idea to use crowdfunding to solve this.

Also, did you reach out to the linux community to ask for improvements/help? With the advent of Ultrabooks with usb3.0 i acutally see some demand, especially for the road-warrior/developer type which is typically also found among linux developers.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
rektide

Default Spit in our eyes why don't you

Quote:
In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!
Your USB2.0 technology it already works perfectly in many multi-seat uses, thank you very much. There's no need to improve it for many people, and it's mudslinging to tell us to work your product harder when it already does work and is enjoyed.

That said, huge amounts of work have been poured into very modern reworks, namely systemd's multiseat configuration. If that doesnt incentivize you, motivate you, I have no hope anything will. Your post seems to confirm that I ought not have any hope for DisplayLink caring about Linux or open source, and you seem unaware of the work that is being invested.

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon.
You tell us to plug in more monitors, yet the only OS which supports multi-seat in a serious way you do not support, do not release any docs for, have out and out told us you are going to ignore.

Good luck to you. I- we all here- wish you cared, wish we could use your products, in a massive way no one else ever will have interest in, but you've said you don't care about us, and won't do anything to help us.
----

DisplayLink:
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
khamer

Quote:

What product would you recommend? I see that you list these products as certified, and note that none of the DL-3xxx products will work with Macs either. It also looks like both the dual monitor devices are USB 3.0 based. Are there any certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products? Any non-certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products that you're aware of?

Would DL-2xxx adapters work connected to a USB 3.0 hub - as in, for the time being, could I use any USB 3.0 hub (such as the Lenovo dock) with a DL-2xxx based adapter that supports dual monitors or (worse) two DL-2xxx adapters with one monitor each?

I'm still all for finding a way to get support for DL-3xxx for linux, but I'd certainly be happier if there's a recommended way for linux to have two external displaylink monitors off one of USB port right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #29
noleti

Quote:

So, after I bought an USB3 Dock for my X1 based on your FAQ entry that Linux is supported, you tell me to buy another product from you? big chance - I will never trust you again, that is. Get your programmers to meet your promises you make on your website!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #30
luiset83

I recently purchased a Targus ACP71USZ and I'd also love it if Linux support was added for the DL-3xxx series! I'd also be willing to donate some $$ to make this happen.
Closed Thread