Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Roger222

Default Game lagging

I used to play Tomb Raider with my display link monitor, but suddenly I can't use it anymore. The game is lagging really hard.

I have an NVidia GTX card . When I play the game directly on my laptop screen everything is fine. When I play with my external monitor plugged into my Dell Docking station display link, the game is lagging. It used to work fine.

Is it suppose to use my Nvidia GPU or since it's display link, it will only use the one with display link ?

All my drivers are up to date. I'm really lost if I looking for the wrong think and I should connect my monitor directly to my laptop with hdmi or if some drivers conflict somewhere.

thanks
Roger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hi Roger,

What kind of machine are you using?
DisplayLink doesn't compute graphics, like always, the graphics card is doing the hard work. DisplayLink driver gets the computed pixels and, through our secret recipe, ships them through USB.

However, if you are using Windows 10 Anniversary Update (let's call it Redstone) there are a couple of things... unfortunately.
1. Are you using a multi graphics card machine? If so, we've logged a bug to Microsoft on which graphics card is being used. Currently on Redstone, Windows routes the calculation for DisplayLink to the graphics card used for POST... and that's usually the low end Intel graphics card in laptops. So the solution is to disable the Intel graphics card so only your NVidia GTX is left so the OS doesn't have the choice.
Before Redstone, our driver was responsible for directing the requests to the proper graphics card, but that part is now an OS feature which will allow better stability and ongoing support in the long run, even if we are experiencing limiations currently.

2. If you don't have a multi graphics card config, would you please tell me more about the lag? Maybe you could share a video taken with a smartphone showing the comparison?

Can you also check with version of Windows you are using, including the build number if using Windows 10? This would be helpful to understand and for me to ask a developer to play Tomb Raider to reproduce this.
Actually, if you could post the zip file created by our diagnostic tool, this would help select the proper machine and install the same drivers to be as close to your config as possible...

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 AM   #3
Roger222

You're right. I think I have 2 display adapters and I think the bug appeared when I updated to windows 10 anniversary update (it makes sense).

My setup:

I have a Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559. In device manager I have 2 display adapters:
Intel HD graphic 530
NVidia GForce GTX 960M

I disabled the Intel adapter in device manager and rebooted but after that, I couldn't use DisplayLink with my other adapter.

Also something strange, Windows didn't seems to use my NVidia adapter because I coudn't change my display setting and in device manager, my Monitor Location was on some generic windows drivers instead of NVidia. The resolution was also bigger.

Is there something else I need to do after disabling the intel card ?

Also, my display link is a Dell 3100 dock.
Windows 10 : 1607 build: 14393.447

Last edited by Roger222; 11-30-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Roger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Difficult to comment, I don't know if we've got that machine around... But here is what could take place.

There are different ways of doing multi graphics.
1. Have two totally distinct graphics cards
2. Have an hybrid card but really only one path

The advantage of 1. is independence, but makes the graphics subsystem a real nightmare for everyone... The solution 2. is also a nightmare(!), but because the application doesn't really see two cards to choose from, this simplifies for the application, but makes the driver much more complex.
You may have the possibility to change your system between an on-the-fly switchable graphics or hybrid mode, have a look in the BIOS or Dell forums.

There is something strange in Windows indeed... On a desktop machine, we have disabled both the motherboard graphics card in device manager, and the additional nVidia graphics card (distinct physical cards, with distinct connectors, it's a desktop) and we can still get displays working when connected on either/both/DisplayLink only.
Do you know the name of the generic Windows driver? Was it the basic graphics adapter?

This is at the Windows kernel graphics driver level, so whatever indirect display driver you are using, with whatever hardware.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
superman32

Any update on when microsoft is supposed to resolve this issue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Difficult to comment, I don't know if we've got that machine around... But here is what could take place.

There are different ways of doing multi graphics.
1. Have two totally distinct graphics cards
2. Have an hybrid card but really only one path

The advantage of 1. is independence, but makes the graphics subsystem a real nightmare for everyone... The solution 2. is also a nightmare(!), but because the application doesn't really see two cards to choose from, this simplifies for the application, but makes the driver much more complex.
You may have the possibility to change your system between an on-the-fly switchable graphics or hybrid mode, have a look in the BIOS or Dell forums.

There is something strange in Windows indeed... On a desktop machine, we have disabled both the motherboard graphics card in device manager, and the additional nVidia graphics card (distinct physical cards, with distinct connectors, it's a desktop) and we can still get displays working when connected on either/both/DisplayLink only.
Do you know the name of the generic Windows driver? Was it the basic graphics adapter?

This is at the Windows kernel graphics driver level, so whatever indirect display driver you are using, with whatever hardware.

Kind regards,
Alban
superman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
eCorke

Same for DELL XPS 9950 with Thinkpad Dock 3. Everything worked pretty well before redstone update, now it's a nightmare. Mouse freezes for second every once in a while, NVidia GPU doesn't work at all.
eCorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

eCorke,

Mouse freezing every second has nothing to do with this...
That's a bug in the Windows 10 v1607 RTM. You should install all their cumulative patches. Since the KB3194496 patch was rolled out, there is no 1 second pause.
You could also check if you are using the replace mode and use extend instead. If that goes better, then that's clearly not a performance problem as the graphics card has more pixels to calculate.

Regards,
Alban

Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
umbcorp

Default Same problem with Dell Inspiron 7559

I have the exact same problem, I'm experiencing a huge performance drop if I update windows or nvidia graphics card. I have the same machine as OP dell inspiron 7559, with same specs. I have to use old nvidia drivers to make sure that my performance does not drop. Is this issue resolved?
umbcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
proeti

I have the same situation!

When external monitor is defined as main screen... the game just run with intel integrated display adapter and not NVidia!

Did you solve your problem?

Thanks,
proeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Microsoft has indicated this didn't make the scope for Creators Update.
We keep pushing for them to include this in the next version.
Regards,
Alban