Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
dammad

Default High Sierra DPI Issues

I have a mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro running the latest public OSX (10.13.3). I installed the latest public DisplayLink driver and plugged in my AOX 1659WFUX. The display works, but the DPI isn't right:
- the laptop's retina display switches to make everything a little larger (I'd guess 10%) when the external monitor is plugged in compared to not attached. No idea why it changes the built-in display.
- the USB monitor shows text, etc. that are pretty small (for a 16" 1080P display). Yes I know I could switch to 'scaled' on the settings but that changes the resolution into a blurry mess. It seems that somehow the DPI of the external monitor is wrong and should be using a much lower value.

Any ideas?
dammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
PhantomRider78

Sounds like you simply need to change the size of your fonts in your browsers, windows, etc.
PhantomRider78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
dammad

Alas not. If I increase fonts on a window on the external display it’ll be very large when on the internal display after disconnection.

The solution is probably for the DisplayLink driver to get the DPI right for the external display and not touch the DPI of the internal.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi dammad,

When you add a screen, macOS will treat the whole desktop layout as new.
This means everything will go back to defaults and you may need to re-arrange resolutions and screen arrangement. These settings will be preserved and applied again every time the same set of displays will appear (which means when you'll again connect the same external screens).

To adjust the resolution of the internal and external you can go to System Preferences->Displays.
Remember that to see all resolutions you may need to press the option key while clicking on Scaled (see https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/901956)

Cheers
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
dammad

Ahh. That explains a lot. Many thanks for the insight.

Dammad