Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
llinfeng

Default OBS screen-recording leaves mouse lagging/shuttering on all monitors - time for eGPU?

I observe a poor performance of the whole Windows OS when I do the following two things on a poor laptop:
  1. Use Plugable USBC-6950U to connect two monitors (with resolution: 4K and 3200x1800)
  2. Start screen-recording using OBS

When I use OBS to record all monitors, the CPU usage is topped at 80% or so, with OBS taking at most 30% on itself. However, my mouse lags and switching focus to another window takes a second or so. Specifically, when I use the mouse to activate another window by clicking on that window, the mouse will stick at the spot where I clicked until the window is "fully" activated.​

The device: I am using a laptop with an Intel 11th Gen CPU that has Xe graphics, with Win 10 OS. The laptop is connected to a Thunderbolt 3 dock from Lenovo, which booted another two monitors (with resolution: 4K and 1080P). The Plugable USBC-6950U adapter is connected to the Thunderbolt 3 dock as well.

Two questions:
  1. Do folks in this forum experience the same thing with OBS screen-recording + DisplayLink monitors?
  2. If so, should my next step be to buy an eGPU enclosure and boot all four monitors off a dedicated graphic card? The full set of external monitors are with resolutions 4K, 4K, 3800x1800 and 1080P, respectively.
llinfeng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egpu, obs, recording