Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Griffen

Default Dual Graphics Cards...when will you support it???

I keep checking the release notes with each new release for Windows 7 and each time I get disappointed...does not work with dual graphics cards.

I have an ATI HD4870X2 and I realy hope you support dual graphics cards soon so I can use my display again. I hate looking at it sitting on my desk black, turned off waiting for software to work again.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
compulim

+1

I have three monitor setup, therefore, I need two PCIe display card to drive them.

Very tempted to install W7 and try out new DisplayLink driver. Hope to have some kind of beta support on multi-monitor setup asap.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
jacklam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen View Post
I keep checking the release notes with each new release for Windows 7 and each time I get disappointed...does not work with dual graphics cards.
Just came back from holiday, hoping to see a driver which can be used in combination with multiple video cards. But unforunately, the new RC driver still doesn't support it.

Could someone at Displaylink (Seb?) please inform us what the problem is?

When I install the drivers for my videocards, 2 Ati Radeon 4870's) I need the Ati Catalyst Control Center to switch Crossfire on and off (off setting to accomplish my three monitor setup). However, after I install the new Displaylink driver, I get an arror that the Ati Catalyst Control center is not supported by the Displaylink software (why should it be?), and consequently refuses to work completely, with one of the problems being that my second video card isn't detected by the Ati Catalyst Control, thus preventing me from using my three monitors. My Mimo 740 Displaylink does work however.

After uninstalling the Displaylink drivers and software all Ati software starts to work again, as are my three monitors, but no Mimo ofcourse.

My question to you: why are you interfering with the working of videocards and software which you shouldn't even touch?

Or is there something I am completely missing here? An answer from your position would be greatly appreciated. In any case, any answer, even a negative one, is better than no answer at all, and might help relieving the growing sense of frustration I am experiencing right now.

Thanks in advance, Jack
Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator/Beta Program Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklam View Post
Just came back from holiday, hoping to see a driver which can be used in combination with multiple video cards. But unforunately, the new RC driver still doesn't support it.

Could someone at Displaylink (Seb?) please inform us what the problem is?

When I install the drivers for my videocards, 2 Ati Radeon 4870's) I need the Ati Catalyst Control Center to switch Crossfire on and off (off setting to accomplish my three monitor setup). However, after I install the new Displaylink driver, I get an arror that the Ati Catalyst Control center is not supported by the Displaylink software (why should it be?), and consequently refuses to work completely, with one of the problems being that my second video card isn't detected by the Ati Catalyst Control, thus preventing me from using my three monitors. My Mimo 740 Displaylink does work however.

After uninstalling the Displaylink drivers and software all Ati software starts to work again, as are my three monitors, but no Mimo ofcourse.

My question to you: why are you interfering with the working of videocards and software which you shouldn't even touch?

Or is there something I am completely missing here? An answer from your position would be greatly appreciated. In any case, any answer, even a negative one, is better than no answer at all, and might help relieving the growing sense of frustration I am experiencing right now.

Thanks in advance, Jack
As mentioned in the release note there are unfortunately known interoperability issues with the use of ATI Catalyst Control Center, Cross Fire graphics cards and DisplayLink drivers. These problems occur due to changes in the OS (from Windows Vista) in the way that it handles multiple graphics adapters. We are looking to resolve these issues in a future release, but at this time I am unable to give you a timescale for this work.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Griffen

Thumbs down

Seriously, how can you call a driver a RC when it doesn't even support dual graphics card???? An RC is supposed to be nearly complete, tell us if you find any problems folks, not something that is missing a major feature....compatibility with dual graphics card configurations.

I am not alone in this, tons of us gamers have dual configurations, this really needs to be resolved soon as in by Oct 22nd when the rest of the world gets Windows 7 unlike those of us that have had the RTM for over a month. You are seriously going to hurt your customer satisfaction and thus follow-on sales if this is not resolved soon.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
jacklam

Forgive me, but after reading the release notes from the latest so-called RC driver I cannot help to wonder why you are calling this a release candidate.

After seeing all the things that do not work or do not work completely this driver is an early beta driver at best, and does not, I repeat, does not warrant the term release candidate.

I am a software developer, and have been for the last 20 years, and I do know a thing or two about the various stages in developing software. If I were to call one of my programs a release candidate with as many caveats and problems as your latest and "greatest", my boss would give me the boot, and quite rightly so.

So Displaylink, be honest, and rename the driver back to beta 5.something, or solve the glaring omissions and problems which are troubling this release before WIndows 7 officially launches.

And oh, you do know that the official release of Windows 7 is just over two weeks away don't you? How's that for a timescale?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
stormbreaker

Let me preface this by saying I was very impressed up to a point.

I was going to recommend these mini displays and software to a sizable office, who has been looking for a solution like this. Everything was wonderful - the price, the build quality - and hey! their website has drivers that'll even support my Win7! Awesome!

Except for this support. I'm very pleased to see you respond to the lack of Win7 support, and I'm POSITIVE you understand the need for developing multiple GPU support. While I understand the need to not make promises you can't keep, I do feel you owe it to your customers who have purchased product that is now sitting around useless. Similarly to several others on this thread, I have a 3 monitor setup that I can't accomplish without my two PCI-e cards.

You've got our hands tied, but realize we're the type of customer you want. You've got great solutions that'll work for the majority of people who might not be as tech-savvy as us, but remember who they go to for purchasing advice.

Please be considerate of your customers and give them as much information as you can about what steps you are taking to solve what shouldn't be a problem. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
nayr2

I'd like to second the above statement. I am sitting here with two displays I cannot use. I have already turned off two people who were interested in DisplayLink screens from buying them because of my situation.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
jrherita

Default Let's Give Displaylink some slack

Hey guys, I have a few of these displaylink adapters in use, two for work, and now a third i use occasionally 'for play'.

For work, they're used at home and in the office where I add a third monitor to my dell laptop which it wouldn't otherwise support.. (the E-Series laptop doesn't have a dock with pci slot option available).

Now.. moving forward. I am fooling around with a 6 monitor setup now, 3 via Radeon 5870, 2 via Geforce 6200, and I was hoping the sixth was via a Displaylink adapter. Obviously it doesn't work.

I'd say out of the market for displayports, maybe 5-10% of us actually have dual graphics cards AND want additional monitors. Those that need more monitors (i.e. engineers) are going to use high end graphics cards that support all kinds of displays..

So I'd say I'm happy to see displaylink has several revisions of a driver for Windows 7 before it's out (that's better than many other vendors), but it would be REALLY NICE if Displaylink had a multi graphic card driver working.

I would like to ask displaylink if we could get put on a mailing list for when this support becomes available?

Thanks,
John
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
jacklam

Default Tick tock...

It is now a week from the official release of Windows 7.

As a customer I really dislike being kept in the dark about any developments in this area.

Therefore, I would _really_ like a representative from Displaylink to give a clear and concise timetable for the support of multi display adapter computers.

The alternative for me is to sell my display, which would be a shame, because for the brief period of time I did have it working with the old drivers on the Windows 7 RC track, it worked great.