Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
jeffnebraska

Default M1 Mac Intermittent Problems with Plugable Displaylink Doc

I am having weird, intermittent problems with my new M1 Mac Mini and a Plugable UD-UTLCDL, USB-C dock.

When the dock is working, it works perfectly (dual monitors, sound device, ethernet, all external devices linked, etc.). However, here are the list of intermittent problems I see, which often go away by unplugging and replugging the dock USB-C cable, but not always.

1. Dock is never recognized after restart until I unplug it and plug it back in, despite having the “Login screen extension status” plugin for DisplayLink Manager installed.
2. Sometimes boots into or gets into a state where apps hang on launch or webpages won't fully load, which makes the computer unusable until I unplug and replug the USB-C connection
3. “Plugable Audio” sound device not appearing in the menu bar at the right top (common) or not appearing in the System Preferences Audio applet (less common, but also happens)
4. Some functions of the dock working, but not others (e.g., both monitors come on and ethernet working, but neither mouse nor keyboard working)

Really not sure how to problem solve these intermittent, but pretty annoying issues. When I can’t get around them, I end restarting several times and just waiting for a “good connection” to the dock, which really stinks.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?
jeffnebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #2
reguilmette

Smile Workaround for USB-C docking station issue

I have run into the exact same problem with my Mac M1 mini. I would boot and could not use the doc with the USB-C connector unless I unplug and plug it back in.

My docking station has a USB-A adapter, so I tried using the legacy USB port. Turn on the Mac M1 mini and to my surprise it worked!

So if you have the ability to use the old-school USB port, it may resolve the issue.

Regards
- Rick
reguilmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
zoltansz

Default Repro here

Hi, I have an old Plugable UD-3900 that I am using with My Mac mini M1 via USB-A.

When it is working, it uses quite high CPU, but otherways it is perfect. It is working after boot automatically.

However, typically after the mini goes to sleep the DisplayLink Manager ceases to work, just a black screen.

I can open the DisplayLink Manager UI, but it freezes when I want to quit.

I want to save my USB connector so what I am doing is to Force quit DisplayLink Manager and restart t manually. It is working 100%, but I hate it. I have to do it 3-4 times a day.

Another bug is that many times a day the default monitor swaps by itself so my DisplayLink monitor becomes the default while I am editing my code.

Also, Flux is working on my "normal" monitor only. DisplayLink doesn't support it. Yet. Only on Macos. (On Windows it is fine.)

Please do something about this bug.

Thanks,
Zoltan
zoltansz is offline   Reply With Quote