Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2022, 06:56 AM   #1
pps

Default D6000 + M1 MBP + 4k => scaling issues

Hi All,

So I've googled a bit, browsed this forum, and from what I understand, there's no way to properly scale my 32" 4k external screen resoulution (when using D6000) so that it's either big enough to be readable, or not huge or blurry..?

I thought the Display Link was supposed to be the solution for those who wanted to connect more than 1 external screens to their M1 MacBooks, so decided to buy a docking station to work with both my Dell laptop and MacBook...

How come when I connect the monitor directly to my MacBook via USB-C I can select scaling options (with those graphical tiles), and when I connect it via D6000 all I can select is original 4k resolution that makes my eyes bleed (too small) or some blurry (low DPI) resolutions like if I connected a CRT in the 90s.... (via dropdown list).

Is it really how it's supposed to work?
Is there any workaround to actually use this docking station properly? It's not like I wanted to have 6 screens connected... all I need is one, with proper scaling.
pps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pps View Post
Hi All,

So I've googled a bit, browsed this forum, and from what I understand, there's no way to properly scale my 32" 4k external screen resoulution (when using D6000) so that it's either big enough to be readable, or not huge or blurry..?

I thought the Display Link was supposed to be the solution for those who wanted to connect more than 1 external screens to their M1 MacBooks, so decided to buy a docking station to work with both my Dell laptop and MacBook...

How come when I connect the monitor directly to my MacBook via USB-C I can select scaling options (with those graphical tiles), and when I connect it via D6000 all I can select is original 4k resolution that makes my eyes bleed (too small) or some blurry (low DPI) resolutions like if I connected a CRT in the 90s.... (via dropdown list).

Is it really how it's supposed to work?
Is there any workaround to actually use this docking station properly? It's not like I wanted to have 6 screens connected... all I need is one, with proper scaling.
My understanding is that the cause of the behavior is macOS not enabling HiDPI modes properly for the DisplayLink-connected displays.

Others have reported that using the 3rd-party utility 'BetterDummy' --> https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy can help workaround this limitation, although I personally have not tried this solution myself so I cannot speak to its effectiveness.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
pps

Thank you! Indeed, BetterDummy did allow me to imitate the resolution I'm interested with, but it all breaks after the computer goes to sleep.. I guess I'll have to wait for it to be fixed, and read from my external monitor with a magnifying glass
Thanks!
pps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
terryxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pps View Post
Thank you! Indeed, BetterDummy did allow me to imitate the resolution I'm interested with, but it all breaks after the computer goes to sleep.. I guess I'll have to wait for it to be fixed, and read from my external monitor with a magnifying glass
Thanks!
I initially, when using better dummies, had similar issues, but I had to configure it to auto start at login, as well as use display serial number for linking, and the better dummies sleep workaround, which are all in the settings menu.

Besides the resizing issues that I was having BEFORE I used it, I dont seem to have any more.
terryxing is offline   Reply With Quote