Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
MacOSuser

Exclamation Display Link only showing two monitors max in "Display rotation and Toggle" on Mac

Hello,

Running four monitors.
1 - MacBook Pro Apple M1 macOS Ventura 13.5.1 (clamshell open)

2 - External 24" 1080p VA2759 Monitor 90 degrees (worked well) Cable = DP to HDMI Monitor

3 - External 24" 1080p VA2759 Monitor 270 degrees (worked well) Cable = HDMI to HDMI Monitor

4 - External 21" Samsung L524H Standard Rotation (adding this one) Cable = DP to DP Monitor

Using a Dell D6000 - May 2021

If you look at this page it shows 4 monitors under "Displays" which is "Display Rotation and Toggle" on my screen

https://support.displaylink.com/know...-apple-m1-on-m

When I hook all three up external monitors up, the MacBook does see them. All seems to be working well with the MacBook.

I can arrange all four monitors, mirror or extended work.

I can not rotate them in DisplayLink as it only shows two monitors at a time and not all three. See attached screenshot.

If I unplug one it will then show the one that was missing or middle.

Tried this in Displaylink versions:

Ventura 13, Monterey 12, Big Sur 11
Release: 1.9 | Jul 16, 2023

Sonoma 14 Beta
Release: 1.10 Alpha 2 | Aug 29, 2023

To me it feels like, DisplayLink it not programed to display more than two monitors in this field on the MacOS versions.

Anyone else with three external monitors working on MacOS?
If so, could you upload a screenshot of your "Display Rotation and Toggle"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 4.22.50 PM.jpg (19.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MacOSuser; 08-30-2023 at 03:07 PM.
MacOSuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSuser View Post
Hello,

Running four monitors.
1 - MacBook Pro Apple M1 macOS Ventura 13.5.1 (clamshell open)

2 - External 24" 1080p VA2759 Monitor 90 degrees (worked well) Cable = DP to HDMI Monitor

3 - External 24" 1080p VA2759 Monitor 270 degrees (worked well) Cable = HDMI to HDMI Monitor

4 - External 21" Samsung L524H Standard Rotation (adding this one) Cable = DP to DP Monitor

If you look at this page it shows 4 monitors under "Displays" which is "Display Rotation and Toggle" on my screen

https://support.displaylink.com/know...-apple-m1-on-m

When I hook all three up external monitors up, the MacBook does see them. All seems to be working well with the MacBook.

I can arrange all four monitors, mirror or extended work.

I can not rotate them in DisplayLink as it only shows two monitors at a time and not all three. See attached screenshot.

If I unplug one it will then show the one that was missing or middle.

Tried this in Displaylink versions:

Ventura 13, Monterey 12, Big Sur 11
Release: 1.9 | Jul 16, 2023

Sonoma 14 Beta
Release: 1.10 Alpha 2 | Aug 29, 2023

To me it feels like, DisplayLink it not programed to display more than two monitors in this field on the MacOS versions.

Anyone else with three external monitors working on MacOS?
If so, could you upload a screenshot of your "Display Rotation and Toggle"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is it possible for you to provide the brand and specific model number of (or a direct web link to) the specific DisplayLink-based product you are using in order to connect all three external displays to your Mac?
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
MacOSuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
Is it possible for you to provide the brand and specific model number of (or a direct web link to) the specific DisplayLink-based product you are using in order to connect all three external displays to your Mac?
One of the key pieces of info and forgot to post that.

Dell D6000
May 2021
Old 08-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Dell D6000 relies on two USB graphics technologies to support up to three external displays.

DisplayLink and USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, an optional USB-C port feature that requires connecting the docking station directly to a compatible host computer's USB-C port using the original USB-C cable provided with the docking station.

DP Alt-Mode is used with HDMI if the other two DisplayPorts are occupied and DisplayLink is used with DisplayPorts if using 3 external monitors. If you use just two external monitors DisplayLink will handle them regardless of what ports they are connected to (DP+HDMI or DP+DP).

If three external monitors are connected DisplayLink will only handle the monitors connected to DisplayPorts and HDMI will not be seen by DisplayLink driver as it will use different technology than DisplayLink.

This is why you only see two monitors listed in the DisplayLink Manager - it will alsways be two monitors with Dell D6000. The 3rd monitor can be controlled by the native OS display settings - including rotation.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
MacOSuser

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you for the explanation.

I got all four up and running in the correct rations and order I need.

Tags
macos, rotation, three monitors