Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
tastewar

Question No DisplayLink-enabled display detected message

Running MacOS 12.6.1 on M1 MacBook Pro, with Asus ZenScreen MB16AC, DisplayLink software version 1.6.0. Just connecting monitor via the USB-C cable that came with it -- no hub involved at the moment.

The display works fine, as far as I can tell. It shows up in the Displays preferences panel, and I can manually set the orientation. But the DisplayLink software shows 2 interesting issues. First and foremost, it lists no detected displays. And second, it always displays the little info message saying "Please allow Notifications blah blah blah..." with a link to "Open Notifications and Focus" but they *are* enabled there. I've rebooted numerous times.

What am I missing?
tastewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastewar View Post
Running MacOS 12.6.1 on M1 MacBook Pro, with Asus ZenScreen MB16AC, DisplayLink software version 1.6.0. Just connecting monitor via the USB-C cable that came with it -- no hub involved at the moment.

The display works fine, as far as I can tell. It shows up in the Displays preferences panel, and I can manually set the orientation. But the DisplayLink software shows 2 interesting issues. First and foremost, it lists no detected displays. And second, it always displays the little info message saying "Please allow Notifications blah blah blah..." with a link to "Open Notifications and Focus" but they *are* enabled there. I've rebooted numerous times.

What am I missing?
The Asus display you are using --> https://www.asus.com/us/displays-des...screen-mb16ac/ is a 'hybrid' display.

When the display is connected to a host computer that supports USB Type-C VESA Alt Mode video output (which your Mac does via it's Thunderbolt/USB-C ports) the display uses that mechanism to work. It does not use the DisplayLink chip within the display, which is why the DisplayLink Manager App reports that there are no DisplayLink displays connected.

The DisplayLink chip will only be active when the display is connected to a host computer via a USB Type-A connection. Asus calls this out specifically in the first information bullet with the aforementioned web link.

Given your description, you should be able to uninstall the DisplayLink Manager App from your system.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:38 PM   #3
tastewar

Thanks, that's super helpful. That sounds like it means no auto-rotation, which is a bit disappointing. Or is there some other way of accomplishing this?
Old 11-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastewar View Post
Thanks, that's super helpful. That sounds like it means no auto-rotation, which is a bit disappointing. Or is there some other way of accomplishing this?
According to the information on Asus's product page (which I provided previously) --> https://www.asus.com/us/displays-des...screen-mb16ac/ the 'Automatic screen orientation' feature is for Windows systems only, and requires a software driver to work. This feature does not appear to work on a Mac.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
tastewar

Good to know. Thanks for the answer.

Tags
displaylink, mac, zenscreen