Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 05-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
TK-Apple

Default Mac Mini - Big Sur 11.3 - 2 Displays 4K + TV 4K

I just recently moved from MBP Catalina to Mac mini Big Sur

My Configuration:
  1. Mac mini 2020 / 16GB / 1TB / Big Sur 11.3
  2. i-tec USB-C / USB 3.0 Docking Station, 2 x 4K with 65 W Power Supply, 2 x HDMI, 2 x DisplayPort, 1 x GLAN, 4,x USB-A 3.0, 2 x USB-C, Audio/Mic for Windows MacOS, Thunderbolt 3 Compatible
  3. 2x Samsung U32R594CWR 80cm (32") 4K UHD 16:9 Curved Monitor HDMI/DP 4m
  4. 1x Panasonic TV TX-65GXW804 LED TV
One Samsung is connected to the mini HDMI port, the other Samsung & TV is connected via docking station.

SW:
  1. Latest Display Link Mac Driver
  2. SwitchResX Software

Problem: after reboot Samsung Monitor & TV connected to the docking station remain with black screen
Solution: switch the dock station off and on again. 3-5 seconds later both work fine

Problem: the Monitor connected to the mini directly turn black every 10-60 seconds
Solution: I changed to another HDMI cable. Ultra HD from 1m to 30cm. In my case it now works perfectly

Problem: TV works fine but Monitor stay with black screen
Solution: Installed SwitchResX to individual change the resolution. Now both work fine

After I made a couple of researches in different forums that is what I figured out.

If you want to connect a Mac mini with multiple monitors you should keep in mind that the M1 processor only supports 1 monitor. This results in a crystal clear picture on the directly connected monitor and a little unsharp picture on the 2nd one connected via the docking station. At least this is what I figured out. The same should be valid for the MBP M1

If you want official support of multiple monitors with the new Mac, you need to wait for the M2 processors coming later this year.

Hope that thread helps some of you.
TK-Apple is offline   Reply With Quote