Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
MCV

Default My Discussion with Kim Stowe - DisplayLink Public Relations

to Kimberly Stowe kim@stoweconsulting.com
date Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM
subject Re: DisplayLink Mac Support

Hi Kim -- I hate to bother you again, I just don't know where else to go with this and you have been the only helpful person at DisplayLink I have met. Once again, the Mac forum has been abandoned and no one has been able to get a response from the Mac Team for at least the last month. No updates on working drivers, no responses to technical support issues.... nothing period. Anything you can do would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks again for all your help!

MCV

----------------------------

from Kimberly Stowe kim@stoweconsulting.com
date Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Mike:

I spoke with DisplayLink and they are suggesting you send your complaints about Mac driver support and issues directly to the manufacturer of your device.

Kim

date Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

So does that mean DisplayLink has given up on driver support and will no longer be responding to issues posted on the Mac driver forum? Again, they are responding to Windows related issues so I'm not sure why Mac users have been abandoned like this. It is very, very disheartening.

Thanks again, Kim.

MCV

from Kimberly Stowe kim@stoweconsulting.com
date Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

No Mike, that is not the case. And in fact I was on a call today where we are discussing this concern. DisplayLink does not want to be perceived as abandoning anyone!

That said, it is important the product vendors to hear from end users the problems they are experiencing. At the end of the day, the responsibility lies with the device manufacturer. That said, we have not abandoned the Mac community and there are things in the works to improve our drivers and support for Mac. I do not have any other specifics than that at this time, unfortunately.

We realize that the Mac community wants more support and we are addressing it as best we can at this time.

Is there a specific issue or problem I can try and delve into for you?

Kim

date Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I think I understand and I will definitely forward my problems and concerns on to the manufacturer of my device. Again, since DisplayLink is actively responding to questions and issues on the Windows side, it would have at least expected to have seen this sort of information posted in the forum. That is, after all, where everyone seems to be going to get answers and it's causing quite a stir when everyone sees Windows questions being answered but nothing for Mac. I realize that DisplayLink does not want to be perceived as abandoning their customers but unfortunately, that is precisely the feeling with Mac users. DisplayLink would know this if they had anyone reading through the Mac forum in the last few months. Realistically, all it would take is for Mac users receive the same level of support that Windows users are receiving. After all, we all purchased the same products and we all paid the same prices so it's reasonable to expect to receive the same support.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation and leads to some better support on our end.

Thanks again.

MCV
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
DWR

Default Contact Product Vendors

Good post.
I use a ViBook+. I have sent a message to Harmonic Inversions, the distributor for Village Tronics, with a link to your post. Hopefully, customers and potential customers will contact the vendors to enlist their help with DisplayLink. These issues are bad news for DisplayLink and its customers (the product vendors). Both will suffer diminished sales unless the issue is addressed. An unfortunate situation for all involved.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
wpns

Default OK, I've done my part

OK, as requested, I've logged a tech support ticket with IOGear, now can DisplayLink do their part and fix the drivers?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
fhall1

I sent an email to Mimo support about the issue...c'mon Displaylink, make with the update already. OS X 10.6.5 is being seeded and I can't even upgrade to 10.6.4
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Stefan

Default Please fix the driver

Informed Win-Star about the problem and sent a link to this Thread. Please update the MAC drivers for Snow Leopard. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
MCV

Default Passing the Buck

I agree that contacting the manufacturer regarding problems is necessary, however, it seems like DisplayLink is simply passing the buck and avoiding the main issues, which in my opinion are:

1. Fixing the driver properly
2. Providing adequate customer support by responding to their forums

Clearly, they are currently failing at both.

Until that day comes, I would also recommend letting their PR department know how you feel. Until they know the scope of the problem, I doubt they will change the way they are handing this situation. Here are a few email addresses to send to:
pr@displaylink.com
kim@stoweconsulting.com

Another thing to consider would be to search out other forums, blogs, etc. that discuss / review DisplayLink products and be open and honest about your experience with your device and the lack of support you have received from DisplayLink. One way or another, we should be vocal about our problems, alert others to them, and demand that DisplayLink address and resolve these problems instead of ignoring them.