Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Dan Radin

Thanks for the feedback. Do you get the sense this is a "forever" issue, or a "they haven't written the firmware for it yet" issue?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Dan Radin

Has this been resolved?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
SGD

Red face

Oddly enough, I can report that everything is... working. Really.

Core i7 (2.66 GHz) MacBook Pro 15"
4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Running 10.6.4 in 32-bit mode
Using the Diamond BVU195 USB-DVI adapter (attached to the MBP via a Belkin USB hub)
DisplayLink 1.6 Beta 2 Driver installed

On initial install, I got the blue horizontal bands at startup, but turned off the auto-switching video option in Energy Saver Preferences, and all seems well. I have two Dell 24"s attached to the MBP -- one through the Mini DisplayPort and one through the adapter. There's a tiny perceptible lag on the DisplayLink monitor, but more than acceptable for Photoshop palettes.

So, for the moment, I have no complaints at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
bernie

Default Is the August 17 Snow Leopard Graphics Update the key?

For those who are now getting good behavior on MBPs with GPU auto-switching turned off..

Was it Apple's August Snow Leopard Graphics Update that made the difference?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/17/...aphics-update/

There have been some reports to this effect, but it would be good to get confirmation if everyone with MacBook Pros and this update, are just able to turn off auto-switching to get a reliably working system .. or if not ...

Thanks for any datapoints,
Bernie
http://plugable.com/
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
jaybna

Default Got it working

Also running a Macbook Pro i7. After hearing of some success here I tried the install of 1.6v2 once again with "Automatic Graphics Switching" turned off and the Imation Link dongle plugged in.

Worked like a champ after that - watched a replay of the Vanderbilt-Ole Miss game on ESPN.com streaming from my laptop wirelessly to my HDTV!

One thing to note, I have been having a lot of graphics issues in the last month independent of getting the DisplayLink driver loaded. I called Apple and they suggest a SCM reset which seems to have made a huge difference.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks, Jay
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
whroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
For those who are now getting good behavior on MBPs with GPU auto-switching turned off..

Was it Apple's August Snow Leopard Graphics Update that made the difference?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/17/...aphics-update/

There have been some reports to this effect, but it would be good to get confirmation if everyone with MacBook Pros and this update, are just able to turn off auto-switching to get a reliably working system .. or if not ...

Thanks for any datapoints,
Bernie
http://plugable.com/

Yes, this was the case for me. I did all the updates _except_ the graphics update and had no issues. If I apply the graphics update I see the blue and white horizontal lines and have to disable auto-switching. I reported it here http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=442 a few days ago.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
sjmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Sherlock thank you for the logs. It's a new issue unfortunately and there are more than one possible causes.
The hardware seems ok, there is one failure in enumerating the device but the logs show that it's normally usable so we are looking at a SW issue.
We'll have to try to reproduce the issue in our lab to understand more.
Your driver does not work with OSX 10.6.4 . This is an issue known to NewerTechnology for several months. It appears that you have elected to give up the Apple users' market. Confirm...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
sjmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by whroberts View Post
Yes, this was the case for me. I did all the updates _except_ the graphics update and had no issues. If I apply the graphics update I see the blue and white horizontal lines and have to disable auto-switching. I reported it here http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=442 a few days ago.

Cheers,

Bill
Regrettably, likely a waste of time. They have been aware of this issue for months. Appears they have elected to give up the Apple users' market.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
sjmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGD View Post
Oddly enough, I can report that everything is... working. Really.

Core i7 (2.66 GHz) MacBook Pro 15"
4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Running 10.6.4 in 32-bit mode
Using the Diamond BVU195 USB-DVI adapter (attached to the MBP via a Belkin USB hub)
DisplayLink 1.6 Beta 2 Driver installed

On initial install, I got the blue horizontal bands at startup, but turned off the auto-switching video option in Energy Saver Preferences, and all seems well. I have two Dell 24"s attached to the MBP -- one through the Mini DisplayPort and one through the adapter. There's a tiny perceptible lag on the DisplayLink monitor, but more than acceptable for Photoshop palettes.

So, for the moment, I have no complaints at all.
So...
You need to disable one of the more important features of you NEW LAPTOP to make use of this driver?
To make good use of this driver, one needs to enable and disable a major [benefit] function of the laptop based on how it is powered.
Absurd, I opine.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
sjmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Radin View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Do you get the sense this is a "forever" issue, or a "they haven't written the firmware for it yet" issue?
They have asserted that they are working on this known issue. In fact, they have asserted that for much of the year. If users can figure out what the conflict is, I opine so can the manufacturer. Appears they have decided to give up on the Apple users' market entirely.