Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
sjmanning

Default DisplayLink gives up on Apple users' market....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Radin View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Do you get the sense this is a "forever" issue, or a "they haven't written the firmware for it yet" issue?
They have asserted that they are working on this known issue. In fact, they have asserted that for much of the year. If users can figure out what the conflict is, I opine so can the manufacturer. Appears they have decided to give up on the Apple users' market entirely.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
SGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
For those who are now getting good behavior on MBPs with GPU auto-switching turned off..

Was it Apple's August Snow Leopard Graphics Update that made the difference?
I haven't installed the Graphics Update, so it hasn't had any effect on my recent success.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
tres

Default Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGills View Post
Our Marketing just received 5 i7 17 inch MBPs along with 5 Diamond BVU195s and every single one is having the same kind of issues as the original poster.

The only difference is upon boot, we're seeing alternating dark and light blue bars. We can see the mouse cursor "above" the bars but nothing else.

We boot into safe mode, uninstall the displaylink driver and everything is good.

So, chalk a +5 to this!
I've got a new MacBook Pro i7 with nVidia switching graphics. No matter which driver version I use, if I'm not actually using my DisplayLink adapter, it's completely unusable. Same distorted blue/black lines. Mouse moves, but nothing happens. Safe-mode uninstall still works.

I have to say this is a huge disappointment and I have completely lost my faith in DisplayLink. I've logged several support issues with no response. I work with two external monitors so I have to install and restart when I get to work. When I go home, I have to uninstall and power off.

I've thought about writing an app to just disable the drivers when it's disconnected, however, I'm not that proficient with XCode yet.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
bernd

hy,

IŽam having no boot or other screen issues the only annoying thing is that i canŽt switch back to my intel GPU even if the displaylink adapter is not connected.
i tried to manually unload the "com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver (1.6) <71 14 12 11 10 7 5 4 3> kext" which results in a kernel panic.
ioreg and kextstat showed me that the driver dosent get unloadet even if there is not a single usb device connected.
so if you could provide a driver which is loadable on demand i think you could make a lot of mac users happy.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #25
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
I've got a new MacBook Pro i7 with nVidia switching graphics. No matter which driver version I use, if I'm not actually using my DisplayLink adapter, it's completely unusable. Same distorted blue/black lines. Mouse moves, but nothing happens. Safe-mode uninstall still works.

I have to say this is a huge disappointment and I have completely lost my faith in DisplayLink. I've logged several support issues with no response. I work with two external monitors so I have to install and restart when I get to work. When I go home, I have to uninstall and power off.

I've thought about writing an app to just disable the drivers when it's disconnected, however, I'm not that proficient with XCode yet.

Any suggestions?
Unfortunately graphics drivers can't be dynamically unloaded on Mac OS. So no easy workaround there.

The only effective workaround has been to disable the GPU automatic switching in the Energy Saver preferences. Have you tried that?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #26
sjmanning

The company has asserted for MUCH OF THIS YEAR that the device works! It does not. Once they realize that the "complainer" is not a bozo, they admit to the device not working with OSX 10.6.4 and that "they are working on it". Appears that they have given up on the Apple users' market.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
sjmanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd View Post
hy,

IŽam having no boot or other screen issues the only annoying thing is that i canŽt switch back to my intel GPU even if the displaylink adapter is not connected.
i tried to manually unload the "com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver (1.6) <71 14 12 11 10 7 5 4 3> kext" which results in a kernel panic.
ioreg and kextstat showed me that the driver dosent get unloadet even if there is not a single usb device connected.
so if you could provide a driver which is loadable on demand i think you could make a lot of mac users happy.
Wish all of us MAC users the best of luck. The company has been aware of this issue since they first made the driver available. Not that they readily admit to it. Appears they have given up on the Mac users' market.