Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release

Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
MCV

Default My response

This was my response to Kim today:

Kimberly,

I can appreciate that Apple is making it difficult for DisplayLink to build a perfect product. That being said, Apple is not stopping DisplayLink from providing support and assistance to their customers. In one of your last emails to me, you said "We realize that the Mac community wants more support and we are addressing it as best we can at this time". It has been over a month and a half since your email and not one question has been answered on the DisplayLink forum. Not one single response to anything. That is not what I would call "addressing it as best as you can". That's called not addressing it at all.

It's about to get noisy over here very soon and I think DisplayLink should take that into consideration. Blogs, review sites, related forums are going to get a real earful about our experiences with these DisplayLink products if we don't start getting some support from them soon. I don't think it's what anyone wants to do but if that's the only way to get support then that's just what's going to have to happen.

I appreciate your trying to be a "middle man" and help get things resolved and I'm sorry that it hasn't worked.

Thanks again.

Mike Vaia
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
mastahype

I've got displaylinksucks.com registered and ready. Can make that into a blog with comments or discussion forum to track the major issues. I've been trying every workaround I can to avoid the sleep bug, but nothing consistently works. I just came out of a 13 minute wake cycle waiting for the driver to sync/resume from sleep. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the site.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
MCV

If you noticed, Carlo is back on and responding to questions again, albeit old ones. Kind of funny that a message posted 4 months ago with log files attached is just being responded to today. I'd keep your finger hovering over that SUBMIT button for registering displaylinksucks.com -- let's see what happens and if support gets any better from her on out. My gut tells me it's just a matter of time before they abandon us again. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
mastahype

Well, I've already registered the domain names. I just don't have anything on the site. I figured I could set it up as a blog with comments (Real easy with DreamHost). The only real issue I have with all this is the sleep issue. I can live without the acceleration and other bells and whistles - I just can't stand it when I have to put my macbook back to sleep to wake my second LCD.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
MikeKulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahype View Post
Well, I've already registered the domain names. I just don't have anything on the site. I figured I could set it up as a blog with comments (Real easy with DreamHost). The only real issue I have with all this is the sleep issue. I can live without the acceleration and other bells and whistles - I just can't stand it when I have to put my macbook back to sleep to wake my second LCD.
I think it's time to get this site up and running. The mac drivers from displaylink are simply not up to standard and the message needs to be sent out. How can something be in beta for what must be 2 years now? The fact is I've had this adaptor for 6 months and it's only worked for a few days within this time (I'm having a different issue to what is listed in this thread). Someone here has stated that we should wait to see how things pan out but that post was several months ago and I think even then we'd been waiting for a long time for a fix to these common problems. The fact is that mac support for DisplayLink is very poor and mac users need to know that this card is not currently a workable solution.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #16
krishkal

Default No joy from Imation either

I sent support mail to Imation (the vendor of the device for which DisplayLink supplies the driver) at the same time as posting my problem here, and they never even bothered to reply to me.

I just left a lengthy negative review on Amazon.com for the Imation Link product, and fingered DisplayLink as the problem. Hopefully, this will generate some negative publicity. I would urge you to do the same - go to any product review forum that has your product for sale, even if you did not purchase it from them (I did not buy mine from Amazon), and write the feedback blaming both the equipment vendor and DisplayLink for not coming through on the advertised "Mac support".

Also, I came across the following post from Seb (A forum admin):
"Again, thank you to everyone one for your support and patience. Oh and of course, if you want to see some significant improvements to our software, please don’t forget to drop Apple a line and speak your mind…

Regards

Seb"

Please go to the Apple Support link and post a complaint about not co-operating with DisplayLink, and how that monopolistic behavior is likely to cause you to lose faith in Apple products. That may help. In some ways just yelling at DisplayLink when their hands are tied by Apple is unfair.

Last edited by krishkal; 12-01-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Added the bit about Apple Support
Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Dyea

Default New Sucker here

Hello all,

Spent $200 on a new monitor and $60 on a Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter. Might as well have thrown that money away. Using this on a Macbook I was having freezes and on a Macbook Pro it stopped working after two days.

Researching this before purchase I found that the web was full of great reviews and happy shiny faced people extolling the friggin virtues of this piece of junk.

I will do my part to amend this.

Love that quote from the PR person about DisplayLink not wanting to be "perceived" as abandoning mac users. That seems pretty accurate, more concerned about public perception than actually providing support for their products.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
MikeKulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyea View Post
Hello all,

Spent $200 on a new monitor and $60 on a Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter. Might as well have thrown that money away. Using this on a Macbook I was having freezes and on a Macbook Pro it stopped working after two days.

Researching this before purchase I found that the web was full of great reviews and happy shiny faced people extolling the friggin virtues of this piece of junk.

I will do my part to amend this.

Love that quote from the PR person about DisplayLink not wanting to be "perceived" as abandoning mac users. That seems pretty accurate, more concerned about public perception than actually providing support for their products.
I emailed Kym Stowe and got a very disturbing reply. I told how I thought there was little mac support and that this product doesn't really work on a mac. Her reply was to address none of my issues and just say "I'll see what I can find". I'm sure she has no plans to search for anything or get back to me because she didn't ask for further details about my problem or ask for the debug output.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #19
mastahype

Default Negative PR

I'll be happy to setup a blog or wiki of some sorts for displaylinksucks.com. While I have seen them at least pop in to reply, the frequency is abysmal with months of gaps between replies. It seems like they only provide support within a couple weeks of the latest beta, which does seem to have a Duke Nukem Forever style "indefinite" release schedule. While it's clear that Apple has had a part to play with some of the issues, I believe the primary issues lie squarely on Displaylink's side. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if they just provided timely feedback and responses. Ignoring users just makes them look shady.

I'll work on getting a site up within the next couple weeks. I don't intend for it to bash Displaylink, but to serve as an open forum for users to post their experiences and opinions for potential buyers of their products for Macs. It can also hopefully be a location to find the current "state of affairs" for the mac drivers. If Displaylink fixes the issues, the site would likely reflect that and be very positive and supportive.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 AM   #20
mastahype

I should mention that to be fair to Displaylink, the most recent beta 3 driver has been a significant improvement over the previous beta 2. So, although the updates are coming, the fixes aren't coming quite fast enough to prevent user frustration. 3-4 months per update is a lengthy time - and although its "beta" software, I believe some of the critical issues (like the sleep issue) are present in release versions as well.