Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Spanky Deluxe

Default Portrait mode not selectable and pink distortion 10.6.4/1.6b3/DVI

Hi, I got my Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter delivered today hoping to use one of my 2007FP monitors in portrait mode. Having been mis-sold two displaylink adapters before that didn't have 1600x1200 support, I finally thought I'd got the right one.

Sure enough, the display is detected with 1600x1200 in OSX but there's pink speckle distortion all over the screen and I can't select portrait mode either. I'm connecting via DVI. Trying it via VGA, it loses the distortion but portrait mode still isn't selectable. I need it to connect via DVI because I need to use the VGA connection on another machine. Portrait mode is a necessity though too.

I've attached my DisplayLink Information file.

Edit: This is in 10.6.4 not 10.6.2 - I can't seem to change the thread title.

Also, my 30" ACD and other 2007FP connected via DVI *do* have the rotation drop down box - only the monitor connected via Displaylink doesn't.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (236.2 KB, 724 views)

Last edited by Spanky Deluxe; 11-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Spanky Deluxe

I've found a way to force rotate the screen using the fp-rotate utility linked on a ModBook blog. The weird artifacting is still there though so I'm having to temporarily use VGA which means switching cables every time I want to use the other computer - kind of defies the point of having this device in the first place. When using a VGA signal, it's also a bit fuzzy. I'm aware that VGA signals can lose some clarity but connecting to a regular graphics card with a VGA cable gives a crystal clear signal. I've tried my other 2007FP with the adapter and get the same results.

My gut feeling is that the displaylink chip can't get enough power over the usb cable in order to fully drive a 1600x1200 signal over either VGA or DVI hence why I'm getting the blurryness on VGA and pink pixel distortion on DVI.