Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
jdorseydesign

Default Kernel Panics on 10.8 GM

I'm running OS X 10.8 GM and getting kernel panics when I wake my Macbook Pro and I believe it's related to the display link driver.

I've attached the kernel panic.

I also notice the DisplayLinkManager has been crashing a lot, I'll attach crash dumps for those as well.

I also ran the displaylink info program this morning after I rebooted from the crash. I'm attaching that zip as well.

As a test, I also tried doing an kextunload on the displaylink kext. This results in an instant kernel panic. I don't know if that's expected behavior or not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (240.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (321.5 KB, 2 views)
jdorseydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
ChristianP

In one of the panic logs we found this backtrace:
Kernel Extensions in backtrace
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.4)[5D671681-D21B-3CCA-9810-B15E648C1B27]@0xffffff7f96afc000->0xffffff7f96b33fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7)[8C9E06A4-13D0-33F5-A377-9E36F0ECC229]@0xffffff7f96aac000
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

This should be not-related to the DisplayLink driver, but since our kernel extension has dependency on the IOGraphicsFamily we can't exclude that our driver is the cause of the problem.
If you can easily replicate the issue, I will suggest to uninstall the DisplayLink driver and test the sequence that causes the panic. If you can't reproduce it anymore without the DL driver, reinstall it and retry once again the sequence.
Would be great if you can post the new kernel panics.
Could you please clearly describe the sequence to get the panic. We have a similar machine in our labs and we can try to reproduce the issue.
Thanks
ChristianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
jdorseydesign

I've had several kernel panics when waking up my Macbook Pro from sleep while having the displaylink driver installed. For the past two days I've been running without the displaylink driver installed and I'm not having any kernel panics. So there's definitely a correlation between these panics and the DisplayLink driver when waking up my mac on 10.8.

My next step is to reinstall the driver and see if the kernel panics come back.

I'll capture all the panics I can and post them here.
jdorseydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
A1evilboy

I have a MacbookPro 15, Feb 2011 with AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics, and with the DisplayLink software installed, I experienced kernel panics everytime my computer woke from sleep. Upon clamshell opening, the login screen would show briefly, then would change to a solid gray screen, followed immediately by the GSOD prompting me to restart my computer due to a problem. I have no captured kernel panic data, other than a description of the issue.

After uninstalling the DisplayLink Mac 1.8 Alpha 1 software, the computer woke from sleep normally. Upon reinstallation of said software package, sleep problem was reproducible. Immediately upon uninstallation, computer slept and woke as normal.

Last edited by A1evilboy; 07-24-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added further description
A1evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
r2xj

I also experience this same issue.
r2xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
ChristianP

Thanks for your reports. Could you please collect debug information with this tool http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and post the zip file? Thanks for your help in solving this issue.
ChristianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
ryansch

I've been having kernel panics on Mountain Lion as well.

I'm attaching the output from your debug tool, a crash log from DisplayLinkManager, and 2 panic reports.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (234.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip Crash and Panic Logs.zip (20.7 KB, 2 views)
ryansch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
JustinM

Default Confirmed, Display Link Kernal Panic 10.8

I can definitely tell you this software causes 10.8 Mountain Lion to Kernal Panic (Crash) when sleep/wake, switching monitors. I go from just to macbook pro 13 display to using 2 20'' displays, in closed lid mode, which will either work or crash, whenever switching between the two methods.

Last edited by JustinM; 07-29-2012 at 02:59 AM.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you ryansh for the information. We're looking into the issue.

If anyone else is experiencing this kernel panic, please mention or attach the following information:
- The use case (what you need to do to invoke the problem)
- Your Mac model
- The output of the kernel panic window

(The output from the debug tool always helps too..)

Many thanks!
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
jeff-y

I got the Gray SOD today when waking my computer. I haven't tried to reproduce the problem, but here's my use case.

Mid 2012 MacBook Air Mountain Lion clean install

1) unplugged my computer in clamshell mode from my apartment
2) took my computer and my DisplayLink adapter to work
3) plugged in my computer and DisplayLink adapter (still in clamshell mode) to different monitors
4) GSOD!

Thanks!
-Jeff
jeff-y is offline   Reply With Quote