Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
mvillalba

Default Various problems with new DisplayLink device on Ubuntu 14.04

Evening,

I bought a new LCD screen to extend my laptop's primary screen for software development. It arrived today and after using it for a few hours, I've come across several rather serious usability issues.

Issues:
1) The external screen restarts randomly every now and then. Seems harmless, but is rather annoying.
2) Sometimes, when connecting the screen it just doesn't turn on and I need to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.
3) At some point earlier today, all video froze all of the sudden on BOTH screend (audio kept playing in the background). Could not switch to a terminal with the usual Ctrl+Alt+NUM, had to force reboot. I can't be sure this is related to the DisplayLink driver, but suffice it to say I've never had anything of the sort happen before on this laptop.
4) The mouse pointer flickers constantly on the laptop's primary screen (but not the DisplayLink screen) when the DisplayLink screen is attached. This is specially bad when the USB screen is doing something like play a movie.
5) The DisplayLinkManager process is hogging the CPU. It's often using 50-100% of one core, specially if video is involved.

Please note there is only one external screen attached to the laptop for a total screen count of 2. Also, the laptop has 2 video card: an integrated Intel chip and a disabled NVIDIA card. The 'nvidia' driver is not loaded on the system, but the 'bbswitch' kernel module which I understand is the GFX card switcher and part of the NVIDIA driver package, is.

Is this just me or are these problems with the driver? If the former, any idea on what I can do about it? If the latter, are these issues known and is something going to be done about them in the near future?

Regards,
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: zip jill_2016-01-27T21:45:40.202283.zip (385.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by mvillalba; 01-27-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment.
mvillalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Szymon
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your report. I have looked at your logs. Here there are my conclusions:

1-2) The problem is visible in the logs and we will look into it. However, I can't promise next release date at the moment.
3) Unable to say much about this. I haven't heard more reports of such problem.
4) It's a known Ubuntu 14.04 bug. The issue is tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1278223
5) Yes, this something we are aware of. Please have a look at the feature suggestion:
http://support.displaylink.com/forum...-linux-support

Best regards,
Szymon
Szymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
mvillalba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your report. I have looked at your logs. Here there are my conclusions:

1-2) The problem is visible in the logs and we will look into it. However, I can't promise next release date at the moment.
3) Unable to say much about this. I haven't heard more reports of such problem.
4) It's a known Ubuntu 14.04 bug. The issue is tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1278223
5) Yes, this something we are aware of. Please have a look at the feature suggestion:
http://support.displaylink.com/forum...-linux-support

Best regards,
Szymon
1-2) If there is anything else I can do to help you diagnose/test this, do tell.
4) Are you sure this is an Ubuntu thing? I have another Ubuntu desktop running 4 displays and 2 GFX cards and I don't get any flicker.
5) I've added a few votes to the feature request.

Cheers
mvillalba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, driver, ubuntu 14.04.3