Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #21
Vasile1337

Last version of Mac Sierra (Beta) does not fix any of the issues.

There is another ugly problem as well. How to reproduce:

1. Lock your Mac with two monitors attached via DisplayLink
2. Drink a coffee
3. Unlock you Mac (with latest Sierra beta)

Expected result: nothing is wrong.
Actual result: windows from the monitors are moved to different random places.

Note: It looks like something is happening before logging in. When you click/keypress to see the login prompt, something happens, main Mac display starts flickering a bit.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Vasile1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #22
paultzirides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasile1337 View Post
I believe this is a known issue with the beta drivers (wake from sleep and startup behavior is still wonky). Until the problem is resolved, I have adjusted the behavior of my Mac a little so that it no longer puts the displays to sleep, and starts the "Message" screen saver with just a single press of the spacebar as the text to display (which then basically just displays an Apple logo on your screen that shifts around periodically). I've found this to work great in almost all situations.

Instead of having the DL device connected at startup, I just wait for the login prompt, and then plug the DL device into the computer, at which point everything works swimmingly.

Hope that helps.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #23
Delco24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Thank you for the information. It is really useful indeed.

We found what the trigger is (thanks to Christian from the team here, good he's around this week!).
To see all these issues you have to disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in the Mission Control system preference.

In all cases it looks like the contents we receive are corrupted but I can confirm Phrogg's finding that taking a screen shot forces the rendering of some contents so those corruptions won't be captured.
A quick test in 10.11 shows this is another regression in Sierra, unsure if something introduced in a minor update. We'll open a bug with Apple immediately.

As for the other defects already fixed in 10.12.1 and 10.12.2, the priority of this issue can be raised by opening more bugs with Apple at bugreporter.apple.com
We'd be grateful if you could open bugs there as well.

In the meantime you may want to enable separate spaces, currently the default setting in macOS. You won't be able to show windows across displays but there are quite a few advantages.

Thank you again for the feedback, keep it coming!

Best regards,
Carlo
This started for me after I upgraded from 10.12.1 to 10.12.2. Checking "Displays have separate spaces" resolves the issue.

I also noticed it happened regardless of whether I was using the current stable DisplayLink driver or the beta driver.

Looks like this is a regression in 10.12.2.
Delco24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
Alyson

Angry Almost Unusable

I recently got a docking station to use with my MacBook operating Sierra. I was using the driver 2.6 and it was working fine but with a little keyboard lag. One day it completely stopped working (nothing would show up on monitors when plugged in), so I upgraded to the new beta even though there was the warning against performance issues. I didn't seem to have a choice.

Now I am semi-operating but with some severe issues that make it so that most of the time I would rather just work from my laptop. Any advice on either of my major issues listed below? At this point I think I need to switch to another brand as this is majorly cutting into my work productivity...

1. SEVERE keyboard and mouse lag (wireless Logitech). Mouse lag seems to slightly improve if laptop is open instead of closed, but keyboard connection is very intermittent and sometimes will work fine then sometimes will not work for up to 3 minutes then come back fine.

2. 2nd monitor plugged into HDMI port is completely not available as a display (tried gather windows, detect displays, etc). This monitor was working fine before the beta update, and works fine if I plug into the DVI port with an adapter.
Alyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #25
rudders

Default CPU Hog

I've pretty much stopped using the displays on my Hub as the CPU impact was typically 50% on a MBP i7 (Previous model). Anyone else finding CPU consumption an issue.

Driving two DisplayPort Dell Monitors @ 1920 * 1080 and MBP @ Retina.
rudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #26
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudders View Post
I've pretty much stopped using the displays on my Hub as the CPU impact was typically 50% on a MBP i7 (Previous model). Anyone else finding CPU consumption an issue.

Driving two DisplayPort Dell Monitors @ 1920 * 1080 and MBP @ Retina.
Hi yes we discovered this issue too. It's worse the more monitors you have connected.

We definitely want to fix this for the final 3.0.
I'm trying now a build that resolves this issue, seems to be working fine so far.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #27
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyson View Post
I recently got a docking station to use with my MacBook operating Sierra. I was using the driver 2.6 and it was working fine but with a little keyboard lag. One day it completely stopped working (nothing would show up on monitors when plugged in), so I upgraded to the new beta even though there was the warning against performance issues. I didn't seem to have a choice.

Now I am semi-operating but with some severe issues that make it so that most of the time I would rather just work from my laptop. Any advice on either of my major issues listed below? At this point I think I need to switch to another brand as this is majorly cutting into my work productivity...

1. SEVERE keyboard and mouse lag (wireless Logitech). Mouse lag seems to slightly improve if laptop is open instead of closed, but keyboard connection is very intermittent and sometimes will work fine then sometimes will not work for up to 3 minutes then come back fine.

2. 2nd monitor plugged into HDMI port is completely not available as a display (tried gather windows, detect displays, etc). This monitor was working fine before the beta update, and works fine if I plug into the DVI port with an adapter.
Alyson I'd suggest to write to our support including the logs: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink

Please also try to install 2.6 again to see if it behaves better, from what you wrote it looks some kind of hardware issue and the logs may be able to confirm it.

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #28
Vasile1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasile1337 View Post
Last version of Mac Sierra (Beta) does not fix any of the issues.

There is another ugly problem as well. How to reproduce:

1. Lock your Mac with two monitors attached via DisplayLink
2. Drink a coffee
3. Unlock you Mac (with latest Sierra beta)

Note: It looks like something is happening before logging in. When you click/keypress to see the login prompt, something happens, main Mac display starts flickering a bit.

Does anyone else have this issue?
@Carlo, did DisplayTeam also work on this issue and white rectangles issues?

Thank you!
Vasile1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #29
seastwood

Thumbs up Potential breakthrough

Hello all,

I've been having problems with a DisplayLink screen dropping in and out every minute or so, as I reported somewhere above. (And logged with support.)

However, I might have made an unexpected breakthrough.

The dock, a Targus ACP77EUZ has DVI and DisplayPort video connections. We have all been connected by DVI since day one, but a colleague found me a DP cable to try.

I'm very happy to report that one hour in, everything is absolutely rock solid.

This is a MBP on Sierra 10.12.1, with 3.0b2 drivers.

Simon
seastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #30
luckman212

Has anyone gotten the chance to test on 10.12.3 (16D30a) ?
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote