Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
mmascari

Thumbs up Video Playback problem

I'm in the process of replacing a dead Windows XP machine with a brand new Windows 7 (64-bit) machine and I'm having issues with video playback on a DoubleSight DS-90U. The new machine is a Dell Inspiron 560.

Display Link Driver 5.5.29055.0 11/26/2010
Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset Driver 8.15.10.2226 10/15/2010
Display mode Aero Glass

Regular windows places on the USB display work fine, but whenever video is played or a screen saver starts, the USB display flickers, get's wavy lines, and becomes unreadable.

I've tried using both Windows Media Player and VLC to play video and tried various video output options in VLC. The only difference between them is the degree of distortion on the screen, with the bad end being so poor that you cannot see the window well enough to close the player and the good end allowing that but not being usable.

On the old XP machine the display worked fine for video and it still does on another XP laptop, but not with the Windows 7 machine and the newest DisplayLink drivers.

I'm looking for suggestions on items to look at next to solve this or where to report a bug for a future software fix.

Last edited by Pawel; 02-07-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

You may try disabling "Optimize for video" and see if the issue still persists.

Alternatively, please download the Windows DisplayLink debug tool from the website below, then gather the system information and upload the zip file to this thread for analysis. (delete memory.dmp file if the zip file is too large to upload).

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
mmascari

It happens with both Optimize for video on and off. The debug file is with the Optimize for video off.

Started Debug tool.
Turned on Advanced Debugging.
Started video playing on DisplayLink screen.
Watched for a few seconds, moved the mouse around, watched the screen freak out.
Selected gather information.
Turned off advanced debugging.

The zip file is attached.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110202_113327.zip (977.8 KB, 639 views)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
mmascari

Thumbs up

I found the problem, and feel a little silly.

I've got the display plugged in to a powered USB hub, for distance (about 6 feet) and to make sure there is plenty of power to the display.

The power cord came out of the hub.

It was still passing signal and control to the display just fine, but apparently not enough signal without the power. Plugged the cord back in all the way and it's fine.

I discovered this when I plugged in an iPhone and it didn't power up.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pawel; 02-07-2011 at 11:33 AM.