Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
stinger

Default movie freeze in a strange way

I have a strange problem. I have an usb to hdmi adapter and trying to extend my winpads screen to my projector. when I drag the movie over to the projector screen the movie freezes every time. I have tried version 5.2 and 5.5 with the same result. then I installed my adapter on my netbook and got the same result. I was about to give up when I grabbed the upper bar in the movie window and the movie starts to play as long as I hold the bar if I let it go the movie stops playing even if the "play" is pressed down. what can be the problem here?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Please download the Windows DisplayLink debug tool from this website, then gather the system information and send the zip file to us.
(delete memory.dmp file if the zip file is too large to upload). This would give us more information as to what might be wrong.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
proware

Default Similar issue

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and my displaylink software just automatically updated and it seems to work fine as long as I move the mouse.

As soon as the mouse stops, the external monitor display freezes. The PC is fine.. As soon as I move the mouse, the external display works again until the mouse stops.

I am using a UGA USB 2.0 HDMI display adapter.

Cheers
David
Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

Please run the debug tool as described in my previous post and send us the log files for analysis.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
sgregpa

Exclamation After latest update I'm freezing too...

My USB-2K-A device has been working great for about 3 weeks, then when I logged in on Wed (2/8/11 after a week of not using this device), a software update was automatically detected and installed.

Within about 3 hours of having this update I had my first screen freeze. And now this is happening repeatedly every couple hours.

I'm attaching the debug zip file from my system and waiting on the next hang to occur with the advanced settings enabled.

Is the Windows 7 driver software from early/mid-January still available somewhere?
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110211_114926.zip (517.1 KB, 699 views)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
sgregpa

Default Advanced logging file

Here is another support file from when I had the advanced setting turned on in the DisplayLink Support Tool (1.0.0.3). Hopefully this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110211_160358.zip (561.9 KB, 694 views)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
bernie

Default freeze: one window, or whole display?

Hi sgregpa,

Just to confirm, is it just the contents inside the movie playback window that is freezing for you (mouse and other window movement are still visible on the USB-attached display), or is it the entire USB attached display that's frozen? (mouse movement not visible, etc.)

On the software update that started your problem -- was that a DisplayLink software update, nVidia, or other? Did you happen to see?

I noticed from your logs that you're running a more recent nVidia driver than Dell recommends for your system (you're running nVidia 8.27.12.6658 Dated 2011-01-07, the latest Dell recommended driver for the Vostro 1720 is nVidia version 8.15.11.8619 Dated 2009-11-04. The link for Vostro 1720 updates is below). Was there a reason you moved to the latest nVidia driver (perhaps already as part of looking for a solution to what you're seeing?), or might that have been the update?

By the way, you have a Plugable brand DisplayLink device, so you're also welcome to come directly to us for support: http://plugable.com/support or email support@plugable.com

Thank you for your patience!
Bernie Thompson
Plugable Technologies

Vostro 1720 Dell Page: http://support.dell.com/support/down...nConsent=False
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
sgregpa

Thanks for the reply Bernie!
Good question. In my case I'm actually not doing any video/movie at all. The full screen is freezing. In most (maybe all) cases I've had Microsoft Access 2007 open on the screen involved. (sorry, I should have mentioned that difference)

As far as my nVidia driver, I can surely look in to that. This is a new Windows 7 install from early January, so I probably just grab the latest version then without checking. My Plugable device was working great prior to the DisplayLink software that automatically installed for me this week.

Thanks for the reference to the plugable site. I'll hold off for now since you are replying here, but I will keep this page in mind in case something comes up in the future.

thx for the help!
PS: And it froze again a few min ago ;(.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
rick

Default Windows Media Player 11 display goes blank with DVD

I have XP sp3, Windows Media Player 11, Diamond BVU 1000 (the latest and greatest) All works perfectly except playing DVDs via Windows Media Player 11. Videos stored on my xp pc work fine using WM11.

BTW I solved the video issue with flash player by unchecking the accelerator box and everything started working except DVD playback through WM11.

You Tube works

Hulu works

Ustream.tv works.

justin.tv

I live in an apartment. I am simply using a 15 foot USB cable to connect to the BVU 1000 which is connected to my hdmi input of my 36" TV that is around the corner in my living room. The internet tv type solutions limit the content I can play to NetFlix, Hulu and YouTube... I want flexibility to play all sorts of video content,,,, incluing putting a DVD in my PC and watching it on my TV.

Last edited by rick; 02-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
bernie

Default full screen freeze (unplug/unpower device to recover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgregpa View Post
Thanks for the reply Bernie!
Good question. In my case I'm actually not doing any video/movie at all. The full screen is freezing. In most (maybe all) cases I've had Microsoft Access 2007 open on the screen involved. (sorry, I should have mentioned that difference)
Ah, ok - I think your screen freeze is different from the movie freeze on this thread, so sorry, let's move threads again.

There seem to be at least two variants of the whole screen freeze. Both are frustratingly intermittent (so they're hard to track down).

When you get the next screen freeze next time, could you hit ctrl-alt-del and then just hit the "cancel" button. If this causes the screen to come back to life, then we have a fix from DisplayLink we can test on your system. If the screen is still frozen (and there's no software way to bring it back short of reboot or unplug/replug the adapter), then send an email to support@plugable.com and we'll try to work with you directly to find a solution (and/or find a matching forum thread).

Since things were working on your system with older DisplayLink drivers, I'm confident we can get things back.

Thanks for your patience!
Bernie