Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #131
tommiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
It may not be possible for DisplayLink to do anything if the problem is at the OS API level.

What if DisplayLink and the other affected companies simply have no ability to restore extended display support? What if only Apple can restore it to work as it did in 10.13.3?

Entirely possible and after 3 months of trying to get it to work with beta's and the requests from DisplayLink to log fault on the 10.13.4 release I would say that its in a position where only Apple can assist if they want to. If not then the use of MACs on this technology is history by the looks. I would have expected if it was possible after 3 months it would have already been done.

Time will tell but I guess that it depends on how generous Apple is wanting to be. I, myself, logged a fault and rolled back to 10.13.3.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:44 AM   #132
Alanant

Unfortunately, this debacle is another example of the Apple Tax/Fanboy Fee. Our office is keeping pre-2017 Macs on 10.13.3 (spending hours reinstalling 10.13.3 on the ones that have already upgraded). For thunderbolt three capable Macs we are looking at purchasing non-DisplayLink docks for several hundred dollars apiece. Not sure what we will do with the pre-2017 10.13.3 Macs when the next security-related vulnerability hits...
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #133
Alanant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Entirely possible and after 3 months of trying to get it to work with beta's and the requests from DisplayLink to log fault on the 10.13.4 release I would say that its in a position where only Apple can assist if they want to. If not then the use of MACs on this technology is history by the looks. I would have expected if it was possible after 3 months it would have already been done.

Time will tell but I guess that it depends on how generous Apple is wanting to be. I, myself, logged a fault and rolled back to 10.13.3.
I agree, Apple are not going to fix this.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #134
Teledatageek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanant View Post
Unfortunately, this debacle is another example of the Apple Tax/Fanboy Fee. Our office is keeping pre-2017 Macs on 10.13.3 (spending hours reinstalling 10.13.3 on the ones that have already upgraded). For thunderbolt three capable Macs we are looking at purchasing non-DisplayLink docks for several hundred dollars apiece. Not sure what we will do with the pre-2017 10.13.3 Macs when the next security-related vulnerability hits...
Having just purchased a couple of USB-C docks from Startech, this makes me very unhappy.

Two questions:

1. What non-DisplayLink docks are you looking at? I need to drive two monitors and haven't found a non-DisplayLink dock that does that.

2. This is an opinion question - but if Apple doesn't ever fix this or it drags on like it already has - should the dock manufacutuers provide a refund since the product is not performing as advertised? Personally, I think so. Sure, they can blame Apple, DisplayLink, etc. but in the end they sold a product that relied on that technology...

Thanks!
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #135
chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanant View Post
May I ask how you rolled back? I spent hours and ended up going back to 10.12.6 since I couldn’t find a way to install only 10.13.3. I do not have Time Machine backups.
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #136
Alanant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
May I ask how you rolled back? I spent hours and ended up going back to 10.12.6 since I couldn’t find a way to install only 10.13.3. I do not have Time Machine backups.
You can only easily reinstall the version that your Mac came with (I guess 10.12.6 in your case).

We have the 10.13 5.2 GB DMG file from when it first came out. You might be able to find it on the internet. Once it was installed, I installed the 10.13.3 Combo update which is still hosted by Apple.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #137
flaxton

Default DuetDisplay similar troubles

As someone else mentioned, Duet Display also ceased to work with 10.13.4

However, they have issued a beta driver that is working for me, and they indicate a stable driver is expected in a few weeks.

So I'm back up and running, extending my MacBook Pro 13" display onto my iPad Pro 12.9" with Duet Display.

An interesting thing I had not noticed before - they seem to be using AirPlay to do this. I don't think that was the case before.

While connected, the Displays icon shows in the menu bar and is blue - clicking it shows an active AirPlay connection.

I don't know if Displaylink could do something similar or not.

I've attached screenshots of the menu bar, Displays arrangement, and iPad Displays screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displays-menu-bar.jpg (29.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg displays-arrangement.jpg (51.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg duet-airplay.jpg (72.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by flaxton; 04-02-2018 at 03:52 PM.
flaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #138
slvrscoobie

wow - sounds like this was a big ol mess! Ive also been looking at other options (monitors with Displayport Out, ect) but apparently that is Also not supported by OSX.
So other than buying a Thunderbolt Display, are we out of options for 2nd monitors?
Seems like apple is screwing a fairly large section of 3rd party accessories
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #139
Alanant

I've been reviewing options so I thought I'd share them with everyone. If you have any other suggestions, please share.

For the 2017 and newer Macs, a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter for about $90. You could leave the display link hardware connected for the Ethernet, USB etc.

For the 2017 and newer Macs, the CalDigit TS3 Plus can drive two 4k monitors with the use of a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter. This combo would replace the display link hardware at a cost of about $390.

For the 2017 and newer Macs, a Sonnet Radeon RX 570 eGFX Breakaway Puck would add an eGPU and the ability to connect to four monitors. $600. They have a 560 for about half the price but it's not on Apples supported hardware list.

For the 2017 and newer Macs, you can build your own breakout box. Boxes start at $200 and you can choose your own graphics card from a supported list. Probably looking at $700 on the low end all up.

Our display link hardware was very reasonable in comparison!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #140
tommiy

I also looked at MST with Displayport. Seems that the chipset works to produce multiple displays but OSX does not support it. I read some one else with boot camp could boot into windows with MST running with dual displays but return to OSX and extension no longer functions. Guess its apple all the way around. You should only work with a single monitor.[

QUOTE=slvrscoobie;85647]wow - sounds like this was a big ol mess! Ive also been looking at other options (monitors with Displayport Out, ect) but apparently that is Also not supported by OSX.
So other than buying a Thunderbolt Display, are we out of options for 2nd monitors?
Seems like apple is screwing a fairly large section of 3rd party accessories[/QUOTE]
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote