Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #401
donluca

Tried it on my Mac and unfortunately didn't work.

The old IOGraphics kernel extension is correctly loaded and working as is the displaylink driver, but unfortunately it doesn't work, which means that there's more to it than that single kext.
donluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #402
slvrscoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Update: July 4th

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Installing macOS 10.13.4, or newer, will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS update when using DisplayLink driver v4.1. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3 and below.
Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 currently provides an interim solution with one extended USB display (720p or 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, 10.13.5 and 10.14 first two developer previews, using Apple AirPlay® on machines with that feature. All additional DisplayLink screens will be cloning the primary display.
An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.
The third developer preview of 10.14 has changed behaviour, as already exposed here. Displays using DisplayLink technology will be present in System Preferences - Display. The displays can be activated, and the mouse is visible, but otherwise the displays are black. Should you have already installed that OS version, simply use DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 6 to force the AirPlay interim whilst the work continues.
We do not recommend using that OS version for extended desktop changes as it brings no benefit compared to previous versions. It also adds an undesired audio switch at reboot to be addressed.
When a new version brings value, we will obviously notify you.

Our team continues to progress towards a solution which would both restore full extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays in a future release of macOS and defend that functionality in the future. As daily users of the technology ourselves, we truly understand how disruptive this loss of functionality affecting the full ecosystem can be. Despite getting closer to tell more about roll out, we stay unable to provide a time-frame or a date for release of this solution.
We will keep providing updates to this message.

Thank you for your extended patience. We appreciate your feedback and support.

Glad I read this! I just upgraded to Mojave after seeing it was working. (edit) Im on the 1st public beta, (10.14 Beta (18A314k)) and it works just like it did in 10.13.

Only issue is the "displaysleep 20 (display sleep prevented by AirPlayUIAgent)"

Just turned off auto update to prevent further issues until this is squared up

Edit - well Auto updates WERE turned off but it Still auto updated to public beta 2 (10.14 Beta (18A326h)) while I went out to run my dogs. setting is back on now that its back. and I installed beta 6, but all I get is mirroring. Hmmm

Edit 2 - now it SEEs the displaylink - seperate display, but its struggling to get it to actually be separate.

edit 3: got it after unistall/reinstall

Last edited by slvrscoobie; 07-06-2018 at 09:41 PM.
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #403
donluca

Alban, do you know which kernel extensions the displaylink drivers depend on?

I'm having an idea of rolling back some kexts to try and get the displaylink working as it was running on 10.13.3, to avoid having to format the mac and start anew.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #404
Neo.aka.Darkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Update: July 4th
The third developer preview of 10.14 has changed behaviour, as already exposed here. Displays using DisplayLink technology will be present in System Preferences - Display. The displays can be activated, and the mouse is visible, but otherwise the displays are black. Should you have already installed that OS version, simply use DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 6 to force the AirPlay interim whilst the work continues.
I know you do not recommend to use your kernel extension on third beta of mojave, but I still do this and there is no extended screen experience.
Neo.aka.Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #405
Gudd

Well I hope someone comes up with something on this soon. I use 3 external 1080p displays connected to a Dell D3100 Display Link dock and on Thursday needed to use my MacBook Pro instead of my Surface for a work job. Thats when I discovered that something which worked fine back in 2016 when I bought the screens and the docks no longer works.

So I've just spent the last 48 hours backing up my MacBook Pro to a sparse image on a USB drive using a cloning tool (yes, it really did take that long - don't know why) and am now part way through what Apple is saying is going to be a further 9 hours to restore my MacBook Pro back to March 21st which should be the last time machine backup before I installed 10.13.4. Then I obviously have to work out what I've lost and get it off of the clone.

To say I'm not impressed is putting it mildly, but it's not like there is an alternative. I literally know of no other solution to use 3 external screens (something that is pretty common place in IT roles) that would work between a MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro. I'd buy an eGPU if the Surface Pro supported it (and I fancied spending that much!)

--- OK, I'm going to rant OT now, but...

This bit is admittedly nothing to do with DisplayLink but what on earth is going on with computer companies and displays these days? If you've got a HiDPI screen on your laptop (it's getting hard not to these days) and multiple external "standard" res screens (or even one) you'd think you're trying to land a man on Mars it's that difficult.

Microsoft is clueless on this one. Stuff is tiny, or huge, or the mouse doesn't line up with what's on the screen or at best you need to log off and back on again, even when the external screen was connected at boot. Apple do it better, but can you connect multiple screens over DisplayPort cable? Hell no. Well, not unless you want to mirror everything to all the screens. And as for Linux, well, I haven't been able to come up with anything consistent enough to even work out what is going on there!!

People need more than just their internal laptop screen if they're doing much or are not on the road, I seriously wish someone could make all this stuff "just work" like it used to 4 or 5 years ago!!

Right, enough ranting.

Last edited by Gudd; 07-07-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #406
tommiy

Thought I'd drop by this month to see if any progress has been made to get displaylink docks working. Well obviously now it appears out past 10.14 for Macs as the wording says they are still looking for a solution. My dock is collecting dust in a corner in hope that some day it may be usable again. Im not holding my breath as after 7 months this seems extremely unlikely. I had to purchase an elgato and change my monitors as a result of the displaylink debacle. I'd have to say even if its fixed i don;t think i would return after this period of time. Although its interesting to pop by and just how long Dsplaylink and are going to continue publishing statements that the airplay is interim and that they are yet to find a solution. Lets face it, the airplay is the final and only answer and that the future never comes......
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #407
Gudd

What dock and monitors do you now have? After my time machine backups proved useless (failed to restore) I’m now sitting here watching Sierra restore to my now blank MacBook Pro and I have to say I feel pretty much done with this DisplayLink shit. I’m very tempted to just recover what little resale value I can on my setup and get something that works. But I don’t know what. I’m used to 3 screens now.
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 AM   #408
Chris 100

"Future release of Mac OS" hopefully does not mean Mojave.

I was running the DisplayLink adapter on a 2011 Mac Mini for a third monitor. This system will not support Mojave. We need a permanent fix that will work on High Sierra.
Chris 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #409
donluca

Downloading a new update, 10.13.6, it has some updates to AirPlay 2 although I don't think it will do anything to our cause.

More likely it will mess things up even more.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #410
Schrooten

Just updated to 10.13.6. I only use one external monitor on my macbook air, still works as a second monitor via Airplay and I can still change the resolution to the max.
Schrooten is offline   Reply With Quote