Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #1
avelion

Default Installing displaylink drivers causing BSOD on restart.

Trying to get a Trendnet usb docking station to work, but when installing the Displaylink drivers and rebooting I get a blue screen. The only way to get the system working again is to do a system restore to before installing the driver. Trendnet support is useless. Blue screen error is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – dlkmd.sys
Attached Files
File Type: zip AVEL-HP_20170201_201324.zip (1.79 MB, 1 views)
avelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I'm sorry to read you're experiencing an issue there. Thank you for the details and the logs.

Would you please roll back your Nvidia driver to use a version from 2016 instead of this version from 2017?
I believe there is an altitude problem here. If your BDoDs stop with the 2016 edition of the NVidia drivers, that's an issue we are developing a solution for currently.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
SkyBeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,
Would you please roll back your Nvidia driver to use a version from 2016 instead of this version from 2017?
I believe there is an altitude problem here. If your BDoDs stop with the 2016 edition of the NVidia drivers, that's an issue we are developing a solution for currently.
I confirm the same issue here on a Lenovo W530 laptop running nVidia GeForce drivers version 378.49. Bluescreen in dlkmd.sys.

This is not the first time DisplayLink does not play well with nVidia drivers. Recently the same issue happened on drivers > version 362 (see here).

Somehow this makes me believe that either nVidia does not care about DisplayLink compatibility or DisplayLink is not based on some official Interfaces and uses unofficial hooking which are subject to change. Perhaps DisplayLink should get in contact with nVidia to provide some stable API which ensures new drivers not to break our installations on every upgrade. At least a bluescreen should be avoided. Even if DisplayLink functionality cannot be assured the system should not crash at startup. I guess the average user would simply not know how to recover their system using safe mode and removing drivers manually from the registry (that's how I recovered now).

And yes, there are good reasons to use the latest graphics driver. On machines where games are run it's a must and on office machines latest drivers ensure best stability and performance.
SkyBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
EricBa

Exclamation Blue Screen - dlkmd.sys - after updating Nvidia Driver

Hi there,

Been looking around but still wondering what to do to upgrade normally my Nvidia graphic card.

Last week I have updated my laptop with the GeForce Game Ready Driver 378.49 (from 376.33), and when I have restarted my laptop, I had a blue screen, with “dlkmd.sys...”.

After hours, I have finally restarted it and saw that my Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA Geforce GT 555M in the Device Manager had warnings.
So I had to downgrade them, and everything went back to normal.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with “dlkmd.sys”, and what to do to make everything work normally and updated?

Regards,
Eric

DisplayLink Corp - 8.1.734.0
Laptop Hasee K580P-i7 D3
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00Ghz
120Go SSD - 16GB RAM - 750G

Connected to it:
Huion GT-220 v2
ICY BOX IB-DK2241AC - with 2 screens of 24" connected
USB3 Hub
USB2 Hub
Lan RJ45
Attached Files
File Type: zip my computer.zip (250.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by EricBa; 02-08-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add screenshots of my laptop in a ZIP file
EricBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBeam View Post
I confirm the same issue here on a Lenovo W530 laptop running nVidia GeForce drivers version 378.49. Bluescreen in dlkmd.sys.

This is not the first time DisplayLink does not play well with nVidia drivers. Recently the same issue happened on drivers > version 362 (see here).
Yes, it did happen 11 months ago and we addressed it when nVidia was activelu unloading/blocking our driver.
We have a new driver architecture from Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards where graphics vendors must comply with their new drivers. Perhaps we had tried multiple times to talk to nVidia... Perhaps you will have noticed we did not have the issue with Intel graphics cards.
In the new driver architecture, the kernel mode graphics driver is not from DisplayLink but Microsoft directly and Microsoft can prevent the digital signing of drivers which are not compliant.

Regards,
Alban

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
mjd

I can confirm on my laptop with Nvidia 850M, DisplayLink version 8.1 M0 on 64-bit Windows 7:
  • 378.49 - January 24, 2017 - Blue Screen
  • 376.33 - December 14, 2016 - okay
mjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
I can confirm on my laptop with Nvidia 850M, DisplayLink version 8.1 M0 on 64-bit Windows 7:
  • 378.49 - January 24, 2017 - Blue Screen
  • 376.33 - December 14, 2016 - okay
Thank you. We believe we have found the root cause.
Changes in this area of the code require full GPU compatibility tests though, as we certainly don't want to fix something to break it for someone else!

If readers are interested, we can look into sharing an 8.2 Development Build to validate on your platform, but after we've done some tests and our confidence level is satisfactory.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
crashsuit

Quote:
Changes in this area of the code require full GPU compatibility tests though, as we certainly don't want to fix something to break it for someone else!

If readers are interested, we can look into sharing an 8.2 Development Build to validate on your platform, but after we've done some tests and our confidence level is satisfactory.

Kind regards,
Alban
I'd be interested in these, if/when they're available. I also got the blue screen after updating my nVidia drivers from the previous version to the latest current version.

Lenovo W541, i7-4910mq, nVidia Quadro K2100M.
crashsuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
EricBa

Quote:

Kind regards,
Alban
Hello Alban,

Thank you for looking into our problem, but even if I understand all your words, I don't really understand the meaning of it (not IT and not English ).

So, what do I have to do to be able to update normally all Nvidia drivers and restart my laptop without the Blue Screen, and without rebooting my Windows 7 Ultimate?

Regards,
Eric
EricBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I'll try and be clearer then
Would you please both (and others who want it) send an email to technical_enquiries@displaylink.com with the following?
- Subject line = 8.2 Development Build for 24705
- Link to this forum thread.
- Asking your ticket to be assigned to Alban (that's me).

When engineering has something ready, I can then look for your tickets and send you the new test driver. It should be next week if tests are fine.

Have a nice weekend!
Kind regards,
Alban

Tags
blue screen, dlkmd.sys, nvidia, update