Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Danny,

On the Acer machine running Windows 7 and 8.3 M2, the logs are full of errors. The monitor identification is reported invalid, then several USB interfaces get ignored by Windows because of the amount of errors on the bus.
The device has no access to the flashing interface, among others.
I suspect that even on Windows 7, the behaviour is erratic due to communication loss and bus resets.
The amount of errors could explain why Windows 10 doesn't enumerate the device properly. Even on Windows 7, I can see reading the USB descriptors is failing multiple times.

The OS selects the driver and there isn't an inbox driver for that class of devices. Also, third party drivers take precedence over inbox drivers. For instance if you keep deleting the Intel graphics driver on Windows 10, you will get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter used, until the Intel driver gets installed again.
Therefore I would rule out a driver conflict as being a possible root cause.

The very first step when you connect a device is the host controller reads its identification (that's what enumeration and USB descriptors are about: tell me who you are, what services you do). Only then can the OS decides which driver to pick. The fact that you get "USB device not recognised" means that the device doesn't enumerate properly: that is an OS message.
The errors, and your successful cross testing with Targus docks using the same driver (and the same DisplayLink ASIC) in them, lead me to believe the device itself is unwell, rather than the driver on the machine.

At this stage, I would recommend you contact the manufacturer for hardware support.

If you cannot get a replacement from the manufacturer, I would suggest you try using 8.3 M2 on the Windows 10 machine. The reason is that, if Windows 10 USB driver experiences the same issues accessing the flashing interface of the dock as on Windows 7, you may still be able to use the dock like that, until it degrades further. On Windows 7 our driver is always running and we are using our USB driver, that's why I can glean more details from the logs.
However, if there is nothing appearing in Device Manager, even as device in error, no amount of driver change will help as Windows won't even try to find a matching a driver as it doesn't see any device connected.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
Dannyheg

Good morning Alban,

is not good to see that Win7 is full of errors (but works properly with displays) and Win10 is not working (but maybe 1 global error there).

I will try to use 8.3 M2 version of drivers and will see.

Big thanks for your help.
I will write you here if I will have some questions...
BR, Daniel
Dannyheg is offline   Reply With Quote