Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software

Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
sykeel

Default Drivers disable my USB 3 card

I run a 3rd monitor using DisplayLink USB 3 in Windows 7. However, my DisplayLink doesn't work with Windows 8 -- when I try to install any of your drivers from 6.2 right through to the new beta, it disables my entire generic USB 3 card and I have to uninstall the DisplayLink driver to get it running again. The card and my leads are not faulty because they run perfectly well in Windows 7 and all three screens are active in that OS. So I'm having to work with just two monitors.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
mlukaszek

Please capture logs as described at http://kb.displaylink.com/269 - on Windows 8 after installing V7.0B. Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
sykeel

Default Log file

The file is attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip KEITH-STUDY-W8_20120718_171251.zip (212.5 KB, 794 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
mlukaszek

Does the USB 3.0 host controller card works in Win8 at all, without DisplayLink Software installed?
What is the card exactly (which host controller chip)?
Which drivers are used to support it (do you use Win8 inbox driver, or did you use a dedicated driver for appropriate vendor)?

There are multiple errors in logs that indicate that USB 3.0 card doesn't work properly, so it would be interesting to know more about it. Also, if inbox driver is used it would be good to see if a driver from the manufacturer of the host controller chip fixes the problem.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
sykeel

Default Answers

Hmmm. Not sure I can reply to all of your questions. I bought the unbranded card on eBay and was supplied with an NEC driver but the card worked straight out of the box with Windows 7 and Windows 8. It shows up in device manager as a VIA USB 3.0 hub and, although I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, a VIA eXtensible driver.
It is a three-port card and I have two external mobile drives (ie drawing power from the card) and the DisplayLink adapter connected to it. The drives work perfectly normally in both Windows 7 and 8. The DisplayLink adapter also works fine in Windows 7 but not Windows 8. I tried installing the card's NEC driver in W8 but it made no difference. As I previously said, not only does the Adapter not work in W8 but also when I install any version of your driver, the whole card stops working and I have to uninstall the DisplayLink driver to get the card to work again. In other words, to answer your first question - yes, the card seems to work fine in Windows 8 without your driver installed.

Tags
usb 3.0