Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
GTM

Default DisplayLink chip and external TV tuner

I bought a Plugable UD-3900 docking station for a new laptop, and the docking station is based on a DisplayLink chip (not sure which series). I have an external TV tuner box (AVerMedia AVerTV Box9) that I can’t get to fully work with it, and I'm trying to determine if the DisplayLink chip is the cause of the problem.

The TV tuner is a stand-alone device: it has a 75-ohm cable TV input, a video input (the video signal from the PC), and a video output (the video signal to the monitor). Because it’s a stand-alone device, it does NOT get installed in Windows, so this is definitely not a problem of compatibility with Windows 10, a driver conflict, or anything of the sort. Instead, you simply connect the video signal from the PC to its input, connect its output to a monitor, and it internally “merges” the TV video signal with the PC video signal. It allows the TV video signal to be displayed either full-screen or in a small always-on-top window that can be placed anywhere on the Windows desktop. Because the TV tuner has a VGA interface and the docking station has a DVI interface, I had to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect the two. The end result is that I can view the TV video signal perfectly in full-screen mode, but when I try to view it in the small always-on-top window (which is the mode I really want to use), the result is a video signal that contains only part of the PC’s video signal and NONE of the TV signal. Because the TV tuner worked perfectly with the desktop that I used it with previously (which had a VGA output), I have to believe that the problem has something to do with the UD-3900, i.e. something in the UD-3900’s video signal that is essential in the “merging” of the TV video signal with the PC video signal by the TV tuner, is missing or has been altered in some way by the DisplayLink chip.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know which specific DisplayLink chip is used in the Plugable UD-3900 docking station? If I can find that out, I might be able to contact DisplayLink and ask some more specific technical questions about the video signal.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote