Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
sethhelstrip

Default Can't install driver on Ubuntu 17.10

Downloads$ sudo ./displaylink-driver-1.3.54.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing DisplayLink Linux Driver 1.3.54 100%
DisplayLink Linux Software 1.3.54 install script called: install
Distribution discovered: Ubuntu Artful Aardvark (development branch)
Installing
Configuring EVDI DKMS module
Registering EVDI kernel module with DKMS
Building EVDI kernel module with DKMS
ERROR (code 3): Failed to build evdi/1.3.54. Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build/make.log for details..

make.log -

DKMS make.log for evdi-1.3.54 for kernel 4.13.0-12-generic (x86_64)
Fri 6 Oct 10:05:00 BST 2017
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build SRCROOT=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.13.0-12-generic/build modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-12-generic'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build/.tmp_versions/*
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.3.54/build
sethhelstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
mlukaszek

The currently available release does not support 4.13 kernel. Please wait for a new version of the driver, which is already in the works.

Thanks,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
sethhelstrip

Thanks Michael. I've installed the new driver, but am still having problems with it. I receive this error when trying to open DisplayProperties, in Ubuntu 17.10 -

/opt/displaylink$ [libevdi] ioctl: drop_master error=-1
[libevdi] ioctl: drop_master error=-1

Can you please advise?
sethhelstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Joachim Martillo

Default Ubuntu 17.10: driver 1.4.210 kernel 4.13.0-16.generic

Should they work together?

I am using a D1000 docking station attached to a Dell XPS-13-9350.

lsusb -d 17e9:

produces

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 17e9:436c Displaylink

This setup worked with the previous driver and 17.04.

If I disconnect and reconnect the USB3 cable to the docking station, my display flashes as if there is an attempt to detect displays (both the builtin display and the Hanstar display attached to the docking station), but in displays configuration, the attached Hanstar display does not appear.

Maybe I should have stuck with the previous setup, but the audio subsystem was terribly broken, and I needed it for some development work.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

The Ubuntu troubleshooting webpage below seems out of date.

http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...work-on-ubuntu

Last edited by Joachim Martillo; 10-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Joachim Martillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
k001

Do you see the external monitor(s) appear in xrandr output? If yes, try to bring it back to life:
Code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1-1 --auto
(replacing DVI-I-1-1 with whatever ID you have, it usually starts with DVI-I)
k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Joachim Martillo

According to xrandr only the builtin display is detected.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
xdannyx_

I am having the exact same problem with ubuntu 17.10 using displaylink's latest driver and an ASUS USB3 Monitor.

When I plug it in, it makes both screens flicker, then the usb monitor goes blank.

Any help is much appreciated
xdannyx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
cjellick

Default Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Martillo View Post
Should they work together?

If I disconnect and reconnect the USB3 cable to the docking station, my display flashes as if there is an attempt to detect displays (both the builtin display and the Hanstar display attached to the docking station), but in displays configuration, the attached Hanstar display does not appear.
Same here! Except I'm using the D3100. The dock works for non-display peripherals like mouse and keyboard, but if I have a monitor attached, I see the same thing: primary display flashes like its trying to detect displays but then the external monitor doesn't appear and the primary display continues to flicker periodically.

HALP!
cjellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Joachim Martillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjellick View Post
Same here! Except I'm using the D3100. The dock works for non-display peripherals like mouse and keyboard, but if I have a monitor attached, I see the same thing: primary display flashes like its trying to detect displays but then the external monitor doesn't appear and the primary display continues to flicker periodically.

HALP!
We are apparently seeing the pathology that is described in the thread starter entitled [Updated] DisplayLink Ubuntu driver with GPUs using modesetting X driver.

https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65364

I unloaded the new Displaylink driver that I had previously installed. I then fixed a bunch of problems associated with upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10. (These problems were specific to my development environment and probably of no interest to people in this forum. I probably did not have to unload the Displaylink driver, but I worry about interactions of new software especially when the new software is not working correctly. Uninstalling is easy enough.
Code:
sudo displaylink-installer uninstall
Then I rebooted because uninstall does not complete until there is a reboot.)

I then followed the instructions on the following web page.

http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...ticles/1181623

I created the file 20-displaylink.conf in the directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

Because I prefer to use the current X software in so far as I can, I entered the 2nd workaround into the aforementioned configuration file.
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "DisplayLink"
  Driver "modesetting"
  Option "PageFlip" "false"
EndSection
The I rebooted just to make sure that my machine worked with the above configuration.

I am choosing vmlinuz-4.10.0-37-generic when I boot. The first time I tried to install the new Displaylink driver, I was unable to install it when I was running vmlinuz-4.13.0-16-lowlatency. In order to be able to chose the kernel, I updated the grub configuration by means of the /etc/default/grub file which I have included below. (I should note that when I first upgraded I had some difficulty in logging-in and had to experiment with the various login settings that are available in the login window (Ubuntu on Xorg, Unity, Window Maker). This problem may have resulted from idiosyncrasies in my development environment. The first time I tried to login to the upgraded system, there were four choices in the login settings: Ubuntu, Ubuntu on Xorg, Unity, and Window Maker. The Ubuntu choice seems to appear and disappear according to logic that I don't understand yet. I have had problems logging in with the Ubuntu login setting.)

The generic kernel worked with the new X configuration, I logged in, and installed the new Displaylink driver. The external HannStar display came on, but it was not primary. I had to experiment with settings to make the external display usable for my needs.

In 17.04 I could only enter the Display settings subsystem by first choosing change background. In 17.10 the whole settings subsystem has been changed, and I had to experiment with devices->displays settings and with Dock settings to make my external display behave acceptably.

The I rebooted, and my machine works with two displays. I am not completely happy because I am finicky and was accustomed to a particular 17.04 setup that no longer seems achievable or requires some more work to achieve.

The release notes below describes the newly redesigned display settings.

https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.26/

Scaling configuration seems to work in the display settings if I rescale both displays.

The new display settings seem only to work properly when I chose the Ubuntu on Xorg login setting.

Unity and Window Maker don't seem to understand the new display settings configuration.

As far as I can tell so far, after the system has been upgraded to 17.10, the only way to logout of a session when using Ubuntu on Xorg is typing logout in the Activities entry panel. The Activities entry panel gives the ability to add a logout to the top panel. I installed the button and have tried using it to logout. After I have logged out by using the logout button, I have found the display subsystem can become confused. I can get it to reset itself to sanity by removing the USB3 cable and then plugging it back into the laptop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have not booted a configuration that allows choice of kernel, I used the grub setup below for /etc/default/grub.

You probably only have to worry about the values of GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET, GRUB_TIMEOUT, and GRUB_DEFAULT.

Follow the instructions below to change your own grub configuration.

/etc/default/grub

https://www.howtogeek.com/196655/how...ders-settings/
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1
#GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

Last edited by Joachim Martillo; 10-30-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: More info and fixed typos.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Wunsz

I managed to run DL with XPS 15 9560 and D6000 dock. These are my kernel options:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_iommu=off pcie_port_pm=off acpi_backlight=none acpi_osi=Linux acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\""
I'm using Intel GPU but I have nvidia set up with 387.12 driver and X Server Settings GPU set to Intel (Power Saving Mode).

I also have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with following contens:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "Intel"
  Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
  Option "TearFree" "false"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
  Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
  Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
  Option "Tiling" "true"
  Option "Pageflip" "true"
  Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
  BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
I have 2 external monitors attached (i plug in the USB-C after logging in) and it seems to work. Though I still have random disconnects from time to time. I have however noticed that they happen less frequently when laptop is on AC power from normal adapterand dock attached via USB3 to the laptop.
Wunsz is offline   Reply With Quote