Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
karote

Default Inferred modes

Hi,

I'm using a VGA monitor through switch and I do not have the capability to feed advertized modes (EDID) to displaylink dock. The native resolution of my VGA display is 1280 x 800, but the driver (list of modes) does not have this and Win10 suggests 1280 x 1024.

Now, your manual says (see picture, driver version 7.6 manual ), that there would be these inferred modes and 1280 x 800 would be included. Where can I get these inferred modes, can I force the resolution to be 1280 x 800 through windows register or somehow manipulating the default EDID file?

I know that 1280 x 800 resolution is possible, since I have tested it with separate display having the EDID data lines in the VGA cable and then repeated the original issue by using a VGA cable with the EDID data lines removed.

Regards,
Karote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inferred.jpg (15.0 KB, 3 views)
karote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for the details.
I am afraid there isn't a way to do an EDID override today.

Inferred modes are mode we expect to work based on which mode the monitor supports officially. (Inferred modes don't have to work, they usually do on monitors, more rarely on TVs). If we don't get any official mode, there is nothing to infer from and that's why you don't get a default list with inferred modes.

The way to technically do that would be to add an EDID emulator, but it wouldn't be cheaper than getting a working monitor.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
karote

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Well, the monitor is quite special, worth over 10kUSD, so it is not cheaper to change the monitor compared to EDID emulator

But how about manipulating Windows registry? I mean, the displaylink driver takes the "supported modes" somewhere if monitor does not advertise any supported resolutions. So there is no monitor.inf or registry key, which manual manipulation would enable the 1280 x800 resolution to be available?

BR, Karote
karote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I'm still on it.
We don't usually have that, because EDID is not only about mode (resolutions @ refresh rate) but also detailed timings.
Default timings and what to fall back on tends to standard defined. Being even slightly off a desired timing is enough for the display not to synch properly or stay blank.

We might be able to give you a way to add a mode, but not timings, so that may or may not work depending on what the monitor timings are.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inferred, mode, vga