Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
martijnh

Default Disconnecting USB3 ports with many Displaylink devices

Hello,

I've previously owned a Fujitsu PR08 and now own a HP 30005pr. I connect two different machines, separated by a USB3 switch. With or without the switch, sometimes (frequently) it seems the USB3 adapter in the device (USB3 port dock, either Fujitsu or HP) stops working. The resolution for this is to disconnect and reconnect the USB3 cable. If it doesn't stop completely, sometimes (frequently again) the dock intermittently stops the connection, either once in a given time period, or repetitively for a duration.

After exchanging my Futjisu PR08, I spent some more money and got the HP 3005pr. Exact same thing happens. The only thing in common in this failure seems to be the Displaylink chip inside both.

I also bought another (3rd) laptop with great specs. On this one the issues seems to occur even more frequent.

Hint for the USB connection being severed of the Displaylink chip resetting? downloads through ethernet interrupted, audio stuttering, video disconnecting.

Is there any help to be given? I'm going insane here...

Last edited by martijnh; 11-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.
martijnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Dan
Banned

Have you tried a USB 2.0 cable? It sounds a bit like you have something dodgy going on in USB 3.0 - which should be faster but is more sensitive to bad connections. This would indicate a HW problem somewhere in the chain.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers installed - we're always working on making behaviour better under error conditions (will autoupdate the FW) .
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
martijnh

I haven't tested with and USB2 cable. Given the extreme bandwidth issues with USB2, this would render the entire docking station pointless. Even if the device would function "properly", the whole reason for having an USB3 docking station would be void. I have installed all the current drivers.
martijnh is offline   Reply With Quote