Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Ant128

Default USB 3.0 - Works and then stops working after undocking.

Hi,

We have recently bought a few Dell E7240 laptops which have the USB 3.0 ports. It installed and worked fine with the Kensington dock (sd400v). However if I unplug the Kensington dock and then plug it back into the laptop it will not work. The screen doesn't appear, it doesn't connect at all. I checked in the device manager and computer recognises it, as I can see it under "USB Display Adapters". If I restart the computer it will connect and work fine until I unplug the Kensington dock again. I am in office where the users will un-dock and take the laptop to meetings and then come back to their desk. So a restart is satisfied resolution.

Windows 7 x64 is the operating system, and I have the correct USB 3.0 drivers installed.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.
Ant128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Dan
Banned

Sorry you are having trouble and thanks for your patience.

Can you supply logs of the failing situation using the tool we provide in http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 it will help us to diagnose the problem.

Does it work if you restart the DisplayLinkManager service? (not a solution but will help to narrow down the problem).

I'm not sure we've had any E7240s in house, but we've done extensive testing on Intel Haswell, and Dell have not reported an issue like this to us (they resell many products using our technology), but I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Dan.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Ant128

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

No, when I restart the DisplayLinkManager service it still doesn't work.

I however did notice just now, if the external USB keyboard and USB mice is not plugged in when the laptop starts then unplugging the and then plugging in the Kensington dock does work. However if either the USB keyboard or mice is plugged in, then it again won't work. It is not the keyboard or mice as I have tried a few different keyboards and mice.

Also I've attached a screenshot of the device manager where there is a "HID-compliant device" and "HID-compliant consumer control" device error which only appears when the Kensington dock is plugged back in after being unplugged.

Thanks for your help,

Anthony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (64.6 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BS-W7-1_20140210_150824.zip (823.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Ant128

Hi Dan, any update?

I noticed in the last week it actually doesn't happen just to laptops with USB 3.0 ports but also laptops with USB 2.0. Although with the USB 2.0 laptops it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try the latest USB 3.0 host controller drivers?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DwnldID=22824

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
luke85

Hi

I'm getting the same problem described above - connects first time, every time. If disconnected and reconnected, it doesn't detect at all. Also have the errors in device manager against the same HID devices.
This has occurred on 3 HP ProBook 640 G1's and I'm baffled as to how to get around it!
Have installed DisplayLink driver 7.7 in advance of connecting.
Have also installed latest USB 3.0 drivers available on the HP website for this model as per your earlier suggestion but hasn't resolved it.
Any ideas?
Thanks and hope you can help!
luke85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

As soon as the issue is seen please attach the output of this tool:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
Once downloaded, please run it and select "Gather Support Information"

When you reply please select "Manage Attachments" from the "Additional Options" section below.

From there select Upload and navigate to the output of the tool which will be in a folder called "DisplayLink Support Files" on your desktop.

Thanks,
James
Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
luke85

Thanks James, output attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UK-NB14019_20150116_161717.zip (1.03 MB, 2 views)
Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
JamesH

Hi,

Does this happen on all the USB ports on your notebooks?

Thanks,
James
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
luke85

Yes I tried tested on one now, it doesn't work on any USB ports on the second plug in after the first successful plug in. A restart is required to work again, but I have to force the power off as a restart can take maybe 15 minutes (it hangs on "Shutting Down", then eventually BSOD's out with 0x9F).
Don't know if this point is important, but the errors in device manager are produced when I unplug the docking station for the first time, not when I plug it in on the second.