Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Martin

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. Sadly, 5.2 will not offer acceptable multi-adapter support but there may be scenarios in which it works. We have plans to improve support in 5.3 (due next year) through incremental updates, some of which may be released into maintenence releases of 5.2, but no promises.

Regarding CCC, the reason you will see problems in 5.2 is that it causes the machine to BSOD when there are displaylink screens attached, so we disable it in order to prevent this. Things will improve in future maintenence releases and 5.3, but not just yet.

Best regards,
Martin
DisplayLink
Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Griffen

Thumbs down

NEXT YEAR....NEXT YEAR...You do realize Windows 7 goes to the WORLD on October 22nd?!?!?!?

I don't understand how in prior versions of Windows the driver could handle a dual graphics card setup and now your developers can't get it working until....SOME TIME NEXT YEAR....MAYBE!!!!

Dear Lord you folks need some new programmers.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
stormbreaker

Thank you for your reply, Martin.

Please do make this a priority - we'd all like to be happy customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Turnock View Post
5.2 will not offer acceptable multi-adapter support
A recommendation: mention this on descriptions of all products you sell. This problem will only get worse if you put others in the same situation we are already in.

Someone earlier mentioned putting together a mailing list for updates on multi-gpu drivers. I think this is a great idea as well. If you folks at displaylink value your customers, I believe you'll see the value in making this already painful experience a little less pestering to us.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
jacklam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Sorry for the lack of updates. Sadly, 5.2 will not offer acceptable multi-adapter support but there may be scenarios in which it works. We have plans to improve support in 5.3 (due next year) through incremental updates, some of which may be released into maintenence releases of 5.2, but no promises.
Due next year? What, the 31st of december 2010? If I remember correctly I asked for a clear an concise timetable, not a vague reference of something that might be supported sometime in the near or not so near future, or not be supported at all. Furthermore, after reading a lot of threads in this forum I've never read a case in which the latest driver worked completely and flawlessly in combination with any multi-GPU systems, not only Crssfire, but SLI systems seemed to have a lot of problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Regarding CCC, the reason you will see problems in 5.2 is that it causes the machine to BSOD when there are displaylink screens attached, so we disable it in order to prevent this. Things will improve in future maintenence releases and 5.3, but not just yet.
Really? Not just yet? Does CCC BSOD? Although I don't like CCC, I've never had any problems whatsoever with it, and really need it to en- and disable Crossfire.

The BSOD and problem part only started after I installed your drivers. And they stopped again after I removed your drivers. Whilst not claiming to know nearly enough about driver development for a reasonably new operating system, simply stating other manufacturers and their software are the cause and reason for the failure of your own efforts sounds a bit childish to me.

But never mind, as I've reported in earlier messages, the official release date for Windows 7 has come and gone and you still don't have a driver which even resembles a workable situation, and frankly, I've had enough.

I'm selling my device, as there is not a single indication that it is going to be supported any time real soon.

Furthermore, I am going to start discourage anyone I know (and don't know) to purchase products which have anything to do with software which should be or should have been supported by your company, as I've totally lost any confidence in your abilities.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Martin

I have some good new guys,

The next maintenence release will incorporate the bug fixes I have been making over the last couple of weeks relating to multi-adapter support. I got the go-ahead to merge them over to the release branch today!

The changes include fixes for DisplayLink displays coming up black when attached, and for CCC being disabled.

I cannot gurantee that these fixes will solve all of your problems, but they go a good way to improving the very limited support we provide currently. The next release is due in around 6 weeks, but as always, no promises.

Best regards,
Martin
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #16
iceredwing

unfortunately the last driver had the same symptoms as the last drivers. It would work only the moment I installed the driver. But if I reset windows 7 then CCC will not work properly and a lot of programs have a hard time loading.

To make matters worse, it caused my gadgets to randomly crash and even after uninstalling the software & driver the windows 7 gadgets will not load.

Last edited by iceredwing; 11-01-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
compulim

Someone finally listens... Sounds cool... that means we got minimal multi-adapter support, which may breaks or not, depends on your luck...!

Anyway, at least you guys show some form of support and continue to improve that during tight product cycle.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
nsb

I am running a laptop with switchable graphics (ie not SLi or Crossfire, only one unit active at any one time) which is apparently supported according to your latest release notes. IT IS NOT.

Although I can install the drivers, and get the additional screens running, the drivers still cause havoc. Simply running WMP will cause the systm to BSOD. Also, and quite strangely, when the drivers are installed I can not open Protector Suite 2009 Control Centre (Fingerprint/Biometrics software). Have no idea why this should at all be affected.

The worst part is my choice of laptop, purchase of new screens, were partly influenced by the preface that your software was tested and worked with Windows 7. Products sitting in computer stores everywhere using your drivers are labelled "Windows 7 Compatible" with no notice of any of these issues.

Given that almost all manufacturers are using your drivers in their products (HP, Toshiba, Targus, etc, etc, etc....) and labelling the products as W7 compatible - when they are not - you may soon have more to worry about than unhappy customers. The cost of product returns, both in financial terms and in the damage that it will cause to these brand names, may mean the manufacturers paying royalties to use your technology may just get a little upset. For your own sake, pull your heads out and get it sorted.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #19
Martin

Hi NSB,

Could you please elaborate on the specification of your system, and how you're ensuring that only one of the graphics cards is enabled at a time.

Our release note should state that switchable graphics is not supported in Windows 7, and only one architecture (lenovo t400/t500/w500) is supported on Vista. Our next release (due in 3-4 weeks) will have increased support for multiple-adapter systems.

Martin.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
Martin

Hi Guys,

Our multi-adapter fixes are now available. Go to http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php to download the latest version.

Martin.