Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #21
variable

I'm using the nVidia 260.99 (8.17.12.6099) drivers on a GTX-460 and DisplayLink 5.4.28638 software for a DoubleSight DS-70U. I previously had 5.5.27797 installed, but uninstalled and rebooted before installing 5.4 M1. This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 box.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 seems to play fine in this combination on my HDMI display. However Windows Media Center only shows a window border around an otherwise black screen in windowed mode or a completely black screen in fullscreen mode (on either my primary or USB monitor). When I uninstall DisplayLink it works fine. Rolling back to the nVidia 258.96 drivers resolves this issue when either version of DisplayLink is installed.

Let me know if I can provide more detailed information to engineering on this. I can also help test any pre-production engineering releases if you want.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, according to GPU-Z, CUDA and PhysX are disabled when DisplayLink is installed.

Last edited by variable; 11-17-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #22
rafarataneneces

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
I'm using the nVidia 260.99 (8.17.12.6099) drivers on a GTX-460 and DisplayLink 5.4.28638 software for a DoubleSight DS-70U. I previously had 5.5.27797 installed, but uninstalled and rebooted before installing 5.4 M1. This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 box.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 seems to play fine in this combination on my HDMI display. However Windows Media Center only shows a window border around an otherwise black screen in windowed mode or a completely black screen in fullscreen mode (on either my primary or USB monitor). When I uninstall DisplayLink it works fine. Rolling back to the nVidia 258.96 drivers resolves this issue when either version of DisplayLink is installed.

Let me know if I can provide more detailed information to engineering on this. I can also help test any pre-production engineering releases if you want.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, according to GPU-Z, CUDA and PhysX are disabled when DisplayLink is installed.
Thanks for your comments.

I will buy a Display Link device again ONLY IF the issues are resolved.

I returned my item to the store because of software incompatibilities.

Sooner or later (hopefully sooner), DisplayLink SHOULD work with 260.99, this is crucial for people with the latest GTX 400 and 500 cards

Thanks for reporting
Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
oes

The 5.4 M1 drivers do not work correctly for me. I can not use Direct3D on any of the monitors with these drivers. OpenGL seems to work fine, but everything Direct3D (games, VLC, etc..) does not work. Direct3D will not even work on the non-directlink monitors while the 5.4 M1 drivers are in use. Granted it's an improvement over current 5.5 drivers since I couldn't even login to windows with those. I'm running 260 vid card with 260.99 64bit drivers on Win. 7 64bit. I'm considering returning this usb nonsense to the store and buying a cheap PCI video card to use as a secondary card for the extra monitors. Seems like a much more stable idea :-/.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
variable

As OES mentioned, they fixed some interaction with DWM because at least we can log into Windows now. But, other oddities I've noticed are: 1. Can't play any video file in Windows Media Player (says codec not found - works fine after I uninstalled the DisplayLink drivers). 2. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit won't launch.

I just wanted a tiny secondary display for gadgets, IM, TeamSpeak, etc. while playing games on my primary. The only devices I found that are this tiny (< 9") are USB devices. It's worked flawlessly up until the Nvidia 260.99 drivers. I'm still available for beta testing if the engineers need some help.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #25
rafarataneneces

Default Remove that software

Hey guys

my advice

1) REMOVE the software
2) RETURN it to the store

buy something nice with $150-$180 (whatever you payed)

Things that were not working for me
1) VLC videos
2) Media Player Classic

VLC will only play sounds
MPC will give me an error about DX9

If you REALLY want to watch PC in your Living Room, I recommend

$45 HDMI to CAT5
then buy a Coaxial Cable Staples from Home Depot

They are small white things that allow you to put the cable in the corners

With a little over $55 you'll have HDMI (video and audio), for a distance of up to 50 feet (1920x1080), or even 100 feet (but resolution is not as high)

That's what I'm going to do here, no point of trying to make a software that damages DirectX work nicely with Windows

Believe me, if you didn't made a recovery point or a Norton Ghost image before installing this software, you're in for a big problem.

Even after I uninstalled this software, problems persisted

so in my mind, the software is REALLY REALLY bad

Make a complete backup of your Windows hard drive before installing this

Be warned
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Pawel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oes View Post
The 5.4 M1 drivers do not work correctly for me. I can not use Direct3D on any of the monitors with these drivers. OpenGL seems to work fine, but everything Direct3D (games, VLC, etc..) does not work. Direct3D will not even work on the non-directlink monitors while the 5.4 M1 drivers are in use. Granted it's an improvement over current 5.5 drivers since I couldn't even login to windows with those. I'm running 260 vid card with 260.99 64bit drivers on Win. 7 64bit. I'm considering returning this usb nonsense to the store and buying a cheap PCI video card to use as a secondary card for the extra monitors. Seems like a much more stable idea :-/.
Are you running in Basic or Aero mode? Please refer to this FAQ to see the difference between these two modes.

Thanks

Last edited by Pawel; 11-24-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #27
rafarataneneces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Are you running in Basic or Aero mode? Please refer to this FAQ to see the difference between these two modes.

Thanks
I tried with a clean boot of Windows, Basic mode, Aero mode

I would like DisplayLink to

1) Recognize there are problems
2) Tell us if they know the source of these problems

I mean, we are complaining, and you ask a question

"Are you running Basic or Aero mode"??

What does that have to do with anything???

I know some users are a bit inexperienced, but when you ask users questions (like the one you did), it's an educated way of saying "you're inexperienced, you're doing something wrong"

I would appreciate if DisplayLink can just say

"we are aware of the problems, we're working on it"

instead of asking those questions

I tried running a Clean Boot, didn't worked.

I even tried running Display Link inside a brand new Windows 7 Virtual Machine (VMWare), and the same error happened
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #28
Wim

Hi rafarataneneces

I understand your frustration, however we are trying to find why some of you are still having issues. We need your help to work together while we try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The way DisplayLink renders in Aero and Basic mode are different so knowing the state of this is important to getting to the root cause. If you can help answer our questions, the quicker we can find a fix.

Help us help you and we should be able to fix this a lot quicker. We thought we found what had changed in the NVIDIA driver, and made the fix in v5.4 M1, but perhaps there is something else.

Thanks

Wim
Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #29
rafarataneneces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi rafarataneneces

I understand your frustration, however we are trying to find why some of you are still having issues. We need your help to work together while we try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The way DisplayLink renders in Aero and Basic mode are different so knowing the state of this is important to getting to the root cause. If you can help answer our questions, the quicker we can find a fix.

Help us help you and we should be able to fix this a lot quicker. We thought we found what had changed in the NVIDIA driver, and made the fix in v5.4 M1, but perhaps there is something else.

Thanks

Wim
I don't care if I have to send 100 mails to the author, I am here to collaborate

The one thing that aggravates me A LOT is the fact that so many users are having problems with this software, and it's been already 3 months since the release of the latest drivers 260

I remember you said you "released the software within a month"

so, let's stop hiding the sun with one finger shall we??

FACTS
1) software is 3 months old
2) software works but all DirectX applications stop working
3) we have NO IDEA when will the problems be solved

So for now, the ONLY solution is to
1) Return the item
2) Wait

I do advise everybody to take the same steps that I did

I am just asking Display Link's creator not to hide the facts that I've stated previously!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #30
roguevoice

Default 260.99/260.98 w/ 5.4 M1

I have installed both 260.99 and 260.98 with 5.4 m1 with no success. My 2 video cards are NVIDIA Geoforce 7600 GS with 256MB RAM each. I am currently running Windows 7 (64 Bit). Even before the update to 260.99, I noticed that Displaylink devices, which I have 3 did not properly function without Aero enabled. Each monitor would routinely blank out if it did not have focus.

As of now, this is still the case because I have lossed Aero support again. When Displaylink devices are un attached, I have Aero Support.

What is the turnaround time for a fix?

Thanks, been with you guys since the beginning.