Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
cpgeek

Default can't use 17" apple studio display on displaylink usb adapter

I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize that the forum that I was replying in (windows 10 beta) was closed, and thus, I assume, no longer frequented by displaylink staff. Here is a repost of my message from here (link included for historical information on the issue: http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63936

Quote:
an update to my situation:

I upgraded my graphics card to an amd radeon 7970 by switching to the generic vga driver, removing the old card, inserting the new one, downloading the latest beta version of the graphics driver (15.7.9 beta for windows 10 x64 circa 9/30/2015), ran the displaylink driver cleaner, downloaded displaylink driver 7.9M2.

My Apple 17" LCD still didn't work on the displayport adapter.

as a test, I decided to plug my samsung syncmaster 2443BW into my displayport adapter and found that despite it's native mode of 1920x1200 that it was operating in 1920x1080 which I found to be odd and annoying.

I ran dxdiag and found that the monitor correctly reported the native resolution, but was running at a lower one for some reason and the windows display control panel says that 1920x1080 was the highest resolution possible. The only time i'd seen this display behave this way is when using vga. I looked in the dxdiag log for a second at the output type and sure enough, it said HD15 (despite being connected directly to the displaylink adapter via dvi). I plugged my apple display in, reran dxdiag saving the output, and indeed, output type was listed as hd15. I then looked at the original log I posted here in my original post, and sure enough, dxdiag reports display output is hd15. I'm under the impression my displaylink adapter is attempting (and succeeding) at outputting analog information over the dvi-i cable (resulting in my lowered resolution on the samsung display) but because the apple display is dvi-d, it won't accept such information.

Do you have any idea how I can tell my displaylink adapter to output DVI?

I really wish I had a windows 7 or windows 8 computer to test these findings with to see if dxdiag reports an output type of DVI when working properly under those operating systems with the supplied HP drivers. Sadly I don't have access to one at the moment.

Thank you for your assistance!
Any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by cpgeek; 11-18-2015 at 11:20 PM.
cpgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
cpgeek

It's been a while and I still haven't heard any response so I thought i'd check back.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

I'm checking on this - will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
cpgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

I'm checking on this - will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
James
Thank you for the update and your help with this.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
cpgeek

Hi there. It's been about a month since I last checked in and I figured i'd check back and see if there was any progress on my issue.

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
cpgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgeek View Post
Hi there. It's been about a month since I last checked in and I figured i'd check back and see if there was any progress on my issue.

Thanks again!
It's been a week without a reply update, I don't mean to be rude or pushy, nor do I wish to demand a timeline or anything, but I was hoping for some kind of update on the matter.

Thank you for your consideration.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Hello,

Your case is not really a case that anyone else is using nowadays: if we are talking about the same monitor, this is a soon to be 15 year old device you are now plugging on a <1 month old operating system (Windows 10 Insider Preview with beta graphics drivers).
I hope you can understand we unfortunately have to prioritise based on the number of people impacted and despite looking we don't have such monitor in store as Apple made the ADC obsolete 11 years ago.
Furthermore, the ADC -> DVI adapter, even if extremely costly at the time is very particular in the way it works, or doesn't...

The DXdiag results are a red herring. DXdiag doesn't understand what is plugged in.

1. Can you please explain what is your current setup? What is the chain of connection?
I'm confused by your mention of a DisplayPort adapter and how it has an impact on another monitor as the HP NL571AA is a USB->DVI adapter.
2. Is your monitor really the following? http://www.everymac.com/monitors/app...lay_17_fp.html. What we can read says 2001 so it should be.
3. Can you please give up to date logs? There are too many variables which changed to make the old one useful. FWIW, in that first log, not only was your screen recognised properly, but the DisplayLink adapter declared outputing 1280x1024x32@60 (monitor APP9217 (Apple Studio ) modes: 1280x1024@60.0197)... So the issue seems more located after that. Do you have any information we could have missed?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:20 AM   #8
cpgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arampon View Post
Hello,

Your case is not really a case that anyone else is using nowadays: if we are talking about the same monitor, this is a soon to be 15 year old device you are now plugging on a <1 month old operating system (Windows 10 Insider Preview with beta graphics drivers).
I hope you can understand we unfortunately have to prioritise based on the number of people impacted and despite looking we don't have such monitor in store as Apple made the ADC obsolete 11 years ago.
Furthermore, the ADC -> DVI adapter, even if extremely costly at the time is very particular in the way it works, or doesn't...

The DXdiag results are a red herring. DXdiag doesn't understand what is plugged in.

1. Can you please explain what is your current setup? What is the chain of connection?
I'm confused by your mention of a DisplayPort adapter and how it has an impact on another monitor as the HP NL571AA is a USB->DVI adapter.
2. Is your monitor really the following? http://www.everymac.com/monitors/app...lay_17_fp.html. What we can read says 2001 so it should be.
3. Can you please give up to date logs? There are too many variables which changed to make the old one useful. FWIW, in that first log, not only was your screen recognised properly, but the DisplayLink adapter declared outputing 1280x1024x32@60 (monitor APP9217 (Apple Studio ) modes: 1280x1024@60.0197)... So the issue seems more located after that. Do you have any information we could have missed?

Kind regards,
Alban
OK, to simplify the situation let's move away from my complex workstation configuration completely. clean slate. My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (L521X) with a copy of windows 10 that was installed from scratch (not an upgrade). I followed the instructions for downloading and installing the latest version of the displaylink driver for windows 10 from the displaylink website, rebooted. I plugged in my known good dell 2407wfp monitor (1920x1200@60hz) via a known good DVI-I cable to one of my many HP NL571AA displaylink adapters. The monitor powers on and begins displaying at 1920x1080@60hz. a trip to the video settings advanced dialog shows selectable resolutions from 800x600 to 1920x1080 and does not show me 1920x1200. Once again DxDiag says that it's plugged into hd15 (while you say this is a red herring, it said DVI when using the same configuration under windows 8.1 on the same hardware (both this notebook and my workstation pre windows 10) and provided me with the correct 1920x1200@60 display mode).

I have used the DisplayLink Windows Support Tool on my notebook while my aforementioned dell monitor was hooked up to it as described. Furthermore, I attempted the same tests with my Samsung SyncMaster 2443 (1920x1200@60hz) connected via dvi to the hp displaylink adapter as well and I got exactly the same results (it displays, but only at 1920x1080@60 at the highest). I'm rather surprised others aren't reporting these kinds of difficulties with windows 10, it seems to be pretty consistent.
Attached Files
File Type: zip XPS_20160125_205713.zip (1.28 MB, 1 views)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for the logs.
From the USB log details I've been drilling down to track which chip is powering your adapter. DisplayLink doesn't design or manufacture any adapter or docking station, so it's not directly found in system_details.txt.
Your adapter is running the DL-165 chip.

In the supported resolution table, the DL-165 is 1920x1080 or 1600x1200 max.

That explains why even with your newer monitor Windows doesn't report 1920x1200 as supported.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvi, hd15, vga, windows10