Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
TheGreatCornjoelio

Default MacBook Pro M1 + Dell D6000 + LG Ultrafine 24" Issues

I have the following setup:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 16GB
Dell D6000 Docking Station (with DisplayLink Plug and Display sticker on the bottom)
2 of the LG 24MD4KL-B 24" Ultrafine 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor with Built-in Speakers, 3840x2160

I have one of the LG monitors plugged in directly to the Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Pro using the supplied Thunderbolt cable.

I have the Dell D6000 plugged into the second Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Pro.

I have installed the DisplayLink Manager 1.4.0 (Build 57.120) and have attempted connecting the second LG monitor using the following cables:

USB C to Displayport Cable 4K 60Hz, ELUTENG Thunderbolt 3 to Displayport Cable
USB-A to USB-C cable

I have tried them both in the Thunderbolt port and the USB-C port on the back of the LG monitor but I keep getting the "Connection Status: No Monitor Connected" message in the DisplayLink Manager application.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated! Both of these monitors worked flawlessly when connected to my old MacBook Pro 16" (Intel), so I know it's not a hardware issue on that side of things.
TheGreatCornjoelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

If I understand correctly you are trying to connect the LG monitor to the Thunderbolt/USB-C port in the docking station. If that is correct then please keep in mind that the USB-C port in the docking station does not support video. It is for charging and data transfer.
No USB-C monitor will work with this port.
To produce video you have to use the available video ports so HDMI and 2x DisplayPort.

Best regards,
Kate
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
TheGreatCornjoelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

If I understand correctly you are trying to connect the LG monitor to the Thunderbolt/USB-C port in the docking station. If that is correct then please keep in mind that the USB-C port in the docking station does not support video. It is for charging and data transfer.
No USB-C monitor will work with this port.
To produce video you have to use the available video ports so HDMI and 2x DisplayPort.

Best regards,
Kate
Kate, I'm using the DisplayPort out on the Dell D6000 connected to the DisplayPort - USB-C cable which is connected to the LG monitor using USB-C.

I've also tried connecting using USB-A out from the Dell D6000 to USB-C on the LG monitor.

The LG monitor has 5 ports on the back - 2 of which are Thunderbolt and 3 of which are USB-C. I've tried connecting to all of these with no success.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:33 AM   #4
czazic11

I have the same Monitors on my MacMini M1, using a Startech dual displaylink adapter, primary monitor is connected to Thunderbolt on the mac same as you.

Quote:
Firstly, It wont work correctly even when it does "work", you can only select 3840x2160 (which just gives me a black screen), or 1920x1080 low resolution not HiDPI so it looks garbage. I tried SwitchResX which lists the correct HiDPI resolutions but just gives a black screen, apparently this is a M1 issue with the displaylink driver as people have reported it works fine with Intel Macs.
EDIT: Apparently the extra resolutions are just hidden, they show up fine on Monterey beta. The black screen I am getting at higher resolutions may be due to the Displayport -> USB-C cable I am using (Cablematters) I have ordered a certified displayport cable by Moshi to see if that helps.

You will need to plug the cable from the displayport on the Dock to one of the two thunderbolt ports, not the USB-C as they are output only.

If its not working you probably have the wrong cable, it must be a bi-directional Display port to USB-C cable, most of them are only for USBC output to Displayport which is the wrong way around.

If display link shows monitor detected, but the screen is black then you have the same issue as me which is that the 4k resolution is broken. I had to click gather windows on the display prefs window on the thunderbolt connected monitor, then manually change the resolution to 1920x1080 on the window for the display link monitor.

Last edited by czazic11; 07-17-2021 at 04:50 PM.
czazic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
TheGreatCornjoelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by czazic11 View Post
If its not working you probably have the wrong cable, it must be a bi-directional Display port to USB-C cable, most of them are only for USBC output to Displayport which is the wrong way around.
Thanks for pointing this out - I've ordered the cable you recommended and will post back once that's arrived. Many thanks!
Old 08-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
TheGreatCornjoelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCornjoelio View Post
Thanks for pointing this out - I've ordered the cable you recommended and will post back once that's arrived. Many thanks!
Bit the bullet and purchased 3 different cables - all bidirectional from CableCreation, Monoprice, and finally the $60 Moshi 5K version - all with the same result. I can use the external monitor, but only at 1920x1080. Otherwise, it's just a black screen. Super frustrating - why oh why won't this work?!?
Old 08-07-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
Ghorelick

Unhappy

So thanks to this thread I am able to SORTA set up my 2 LG 4k Ultrafine monitors using Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cables (bidirectional support) through a Dell D6000 and ultimately connected with my 2020 MacBook Pro M1. Thanks to the OP for posting their experiences!

So why is this only SORTA set up?I still can't get this to show both monitors! If I only connect one monitor, ultimately it will display. But if I connect both then I'm staring into the black abyss on both monitors.

What am I doing wrong?? my computer definitely recognizes both monitors (I can see 3 displays in the System Preferences), I have both at 1920 x 1080, both at 60 mHz. I'm running DisplayLink Manager 1.4.0 and BigSur 11.5.1. Both cables are plugged into the TB3 ports of the monitors. I know the cables are working because when I test each monitor individually with each cable the monitor will display. I know both DisplayPorts are working because I tested each monitor individually on each port.

Should I be connecting each monitor with its own cable to the D6000? should I daisy chain one monitor to the other, then to the hub and then to my laptop? Should I connect one monitor to the laptop and one to the hub? Should one be connected to the hub via DisplayPort and the other via HDMI?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by Ghorelick; 08-07-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Ghorelick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lg ultrafine, macbook pro