Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
tsanikgr

Default Windows 8 + NVidia 9300M GS black screen

*** NOTE!!
This configuration worked in the past with exactly the same hardware on Windows 7 and Windows 8 Release Preview. So there should be a way to fix it!!!!

*** HARDWARE
- SainSonic UG19D1 USB 2.0 (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset)
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

-Sony vaio VGN z790 laptop which has a hybrid graphics system (NVidia Geforce 9300M GS + Intel GMA 4500MHD).

-2 external 1920 x 1200 Dell screens to the HDMI (provided by the NVidia card) and the DisplayLink adaptor.

*** SOFTWARE
Windows 8 Pro
Displayink latest drivers (7.1 M1)
Nvidia Driver version 186.84 (8.15.11.86.84) (Automatically installed by windows - other drivers I can tried do not work)

*** PROBLEM
I am experiencing very similar issues as the ones described here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1976

In particular:
When attaching the Displaylink device while logged in, the 3rd screen is recognized and can be enabled.
-If I enable just the 2 identical external displays, the HDMI screen displays normally, the DisplayLink screen turns on and remains black. I can move the mouse and windows over it, but I cannot see anything.

-If I enable all three screens, DisplayLink displays a black screen (but signal is available and screen turns on), HDMI screen displays normally, laptop screen turns on and remains black, and the computer hangs. I cannot see/move the mouse. The issue can be solved by either unplugging the DisplayLink adapter, or pressing Windows key + P to switch display mode to a single screen. So the computer still receives events from keyboard, i.e. just the displays are frost.

I repeat, exactly the same configuration worked in previous version of windows and previous drivers!!!

I have tried everything:
-installing previous drivers / disconnecting from the internet so that they don't update automatically
-installing/connecting cables in every possible sequence
-running windows compatibility modes
etc...

I am attaching the debug logs, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nikos
Attached Files
File Type: zip NIKOS-VAIO_20130312_171543.zip (1.39 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by tsanikgr; 03-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
tsanikgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Wim

This is a known issue with NVIDIA Optimus platforms when you try and use the external HDMI, laptop screen and DisplayLink displays. It's due to the way the NVIDIA driver interacts with the system and the Intel driver, and there is no easy work around we can put in place at the moment. The NVIDIA driver behaves differently on Windows 7 which is why you don't see the issue on this OS.

We are seeing what we can do to fix this, but it's not easy.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
tsanikgr

Hello and thank you for your quick reply.

Note that it was working with Windows 8 Release preview as well as windows 7 with one of your previous drivers. I cannot make it to work on Windows 8 Pro.

Also note that my laptop hasn't got the optimus technology. Optimus technology is the successor to the hybrid system my laptop has.

Hope that this helps, and in anticipation of further news,

Nikos
tsanikgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black screen, dl-195, intel 4500hd, nvidia 9300m gs, sony vaio