Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
ManUtd67

Default Dual USB-C and USB-A dock

Hi, I am looking for a docking station that will allow me to connect either of the following laptops to the same docking station.

HP Spectre 13-4112TU (1 x HDMI out, 3 x USB 3.0 Ports, 1 x Mini Display Port & 1 x headphone/microphone combo)

HP Elitebook x360 1040 G5 (2 Thunderbolt™ (USB Type-C™ connector); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (charging); 1 headphone-out; 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 External Nano SIM slot for
WWAN)

Needs to be compatible for both devices. Does not need to offer charging for the Spectre.
Any suggestions appreciated.
ManUtd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
AndrewJDawson

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us via the forums.

As both of your laptops have USB 3 connectors, any DisplayLink-enabled docking station will work with both of your devices. I can't recommend one without knowing how many monitors you would like to connect to the dock, could you let me know how many you have and what resolution they are?

If I assume you are connecting two monitors at 1080p (Full HD) resolution, then this link provides all the information that you need. If you wanted to stay with HP kit, the HP USB-C/A universal dock G2 that comes up under that search also includes a USB-C to USB-A adapter for easy switching compatibility between the two.

Kind regards,
Andrew
AndrewJDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
ManUtd67

Default Dual USB-C and USB-A dock

HI Andrew

Thanks for the response. Only a single 4K monitor will be used.

Interesting you mention the HP G2 dock. I contacted HP tech support directly first only to be told they do not have any compatible docks for the HP Spectre 13-4112TU. They suggested I try 3rd party docks.

I already have a HP-USB C Travel Dock which works fine for the HP Elitebook x360 1040 G5 . Would I be able to use a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter and get the same dock to work on my HP Spectre 13-4112TU?

Last edited by ManUtd67; 01-28-2020 at 06:34 AM.
ManUtd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
AndrewJDawson

Hello,

I wouldn't want to contradict what HP technical support are telling you, but docks that are powered by DisplayLink technology should work with any device that they can be connected to via USB as it is just USB traffic, yes.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Kind regards,
Andrew
AndrewJDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Ben80

Post Dual USB-C and USB-A dock

Hello,

I have the HP Universal dock USB-C/A G2 that I use with my professional laptop (HP 840 G5 with USB-C connector) and my personal laptop (Macbook air 2015 with USB-A adaptator). It works fine.
However, this dock doesn't work with my Samsung S20 with DEX. I connected it to my dock with USB-C and my dock is linked to my HP monitor with HDMI but my monitor doesn't recognise the signal.

I can mirror my S20 screen with Displaylink Desktop for android but can't launch DEX.

According to the HP notice, the USB-C connector use DisplayPort Alt Mode.
Could you please help me to connect my Samsung S20 with DEX to my HP USB-C/A G2 ?

For your information, one of my colleague use a Dell dock with a similar system (DELL D6000) and have success with DEX.

Thank you for your assistance.
Ben80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
oxforum

The two docks you mention are different internally so I wouldn't be suprised to hear of different behaviours.

That said, be sure to upgrade the dock's firmware https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...ck-g2/27767208 - looks like the latest is from June this year.
oxforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Ben80

Thank you for your feedback. I already updated the firmware with the last version available on HP website but the dock doesn't recognize the video signal from Samsung S20.
Does anybody have success with HP USB-C/A G2 working with DEX ?
Thank you for your assistance.
Ben80 is offline   Reply With Quote