Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Bob Vance

Default Lenovo B590 and UD-3900 - Out of Box Questions

Installed Plugable UD-3900 and connected Lenovo B590 Notepad yesterday. I have this set up to use external monitor via DVI - single view only. Successful, despite having to update USB 3.0 host controller, but a few questions:

*Is the UD-3900 system hot plugable? Can I go back and forth plugging and plugging the laptop without re-configging my USB connection or my laptop?

*are there any universal or Lenovo-only or Win7-only settings (display, power, etc.) for optimal coupling with UD-3900.

*If I image the laptop's HDDs with third party software (Acronis, Easus Todo, etc.) do I image it connected to UD-3900 or should I disconnect first?

* I am having a problem accessing graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000; is it an integrated chip?) while connected to Plugable. I can access the card but it wont let me do anything--make changes etc. Admittedly, I have not taken this off of the USB since I installed Plugable to see if I can do this while using laptop screen only. Is this common? Do I need to fix something?

*Lastly, I keep getting message that the Displaylink Tray Application cannot connect to Windows Update server. I assume I have latest driver because I downloaded it off web yesterday. Is this the reason or do I need to tweak a setting?

Thanks

BV

Last edited by Bob Vance; 05-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Bob Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vance View Post
Installed Plugable UD-3900 and connected Lenovo B590 Notepad yesterday. I have this set up to use external monitor via DVI - single view only. Successful, despite having to update USB 3.0 host controller, but a few questions:

*Is the UD-3900 system hot plugable? Can I go back and forth plugging and plugging the laptop without re-configging my USB connection or my laptop?
Yes you can plug and unplug as may times as you wish

Quote:
*are there any universal or Lenovo-only or Win7-only settings (display, power, etc.) for optimal coupling with UD-3900.
No settings are required

Quote:
*If I image the laptop's HDDs with third party software (Acronis, Easus Todo, etc.) do I image it connected to UD-3900 or should I disconnect first?
You can image through the UD-3900

Quote:
* I am having a problem accessing graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000; is it an integrated chip?) while connected to Plugable. I can access the card but it wont let me do anything--make changes etc. Admittedly, I have not taken this off of the USB since I installed Plugable to see if I can do this while using laptop screen only. Is this common? Do I need to fix something?
I'm unaware of any issues though I'd recommend disconnecting your UD-3900 before upgrading your Intel graphics driver

Quote:
*Lastly, I keep getting message that the Displaylink Tray Application cannot connect to Windows Update server. I assume I have latest driver because I downloaded it off web yesterday. Is this the reason or do I need to tweak a setting?
This option has been removed in the latest DisplayLink software v7.6 M0

Thanks

BV
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
Bob Vance

Thanks. In regards to my graphics card issue, I have a single monitor connected. I only have "notebook monitor off" applied. Maybe this explains why I cant change display settings thru graphics card? I erred earlier. I can access the card. I cant make any modifications to the card's settings. Do I need to "set as main monitor" and/ or "extend" or "mirror" to let my card work on my USB connected monitor?

Also, how will I know when updates are available if the connection has been disabled? Why does it offer check for updates if it won't?

One last question: I read this on plugable forum "we generally don't recommend using the laptop in 'lid closed' setting with our docking stations, as there is some system dependent behavior that can complicate matters." I've been doing this since day 1. Could this be the issue with my card?

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Vance; 05-30-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Yes, when you have "notebook monitor off" the graphics card settings are not accessible. Is there anything in particular that you are trying to access graphics card setting wise?

Regarding the Check for updates - I stand corrected - this is still available on certain packages. The message you are seeing is telling you that you can't connect to the Windows Update server. Are you able to run Windows Update on your PC with the dock disconnected?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Bob Vance

Yes, when you have "notebook monitor off" the graphics card settings are not accessible. Is there anything in particular that you are trying to access graphics card setting wise?

Not really trying to access anything in particular as everything is fine. But if I wanted to I can't with this this current settings via my machine ("Do nothing when lid closed") and Plugable ("notebook monitor off") . Can you tell me me what settings to have so that I may access my card while on my USB connected monitor? Or do I have to change these settings while still connected on Plugable, but have the laptop monitor set as main monitor?

Regarding the Check for updates - I stand corrected - this is still available on certain packages. The message you are seeing is telling you that you can't connect to the Windows Update server. Are you able to run Windows Update on your PC with the dock disconnected?

Yes, Windows Update works fine connected to with dock connected. I see nothing in firewall blocking Displaylink either. the message given is "Cannot Update Displaylink Software - Unable to Connect to Microsoft Update Server"

Thanks,
James[/QUOTE]

Tags
ud-3900