Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Foursky

Default Incompatable CPU type detected.

When I attempt to install on my Mac Pro, with Quad core processors, I get a message that Incompatible CPU type detected, and won't let me install the software package. <<see attached pic>> Ideas?

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS-Intel.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	88  
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Foursky

Turns out I was using the 64bit kernel, and that is not supported. Booted to 32bit, and all is well now, except I am using a 32bit kernel...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
jnicita

Default bringing this back up

I have a system that is giving me the Incompatable CPU type error as well. However, I have verified that I am currently booted in 32bit mode.

My about this mac say - > 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, is it possible to manipulate the about_this_mac>strings file and manually place a different value in there to get passed this issue?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
tysonedwards

You would want to modify the /Volumes/DisplayLink Installer/DisplayLink Software Installer.pkg/Contents/Resources/InstallationCheck file to remove the following lines:

if( $hwversionstring !~ /i386/i )
{
print "Weird processor version detected.\n";
exit( 96 | 19 );
}

However, it's worth noting that the kernel extensions will not load under a 64-bit kernel regardless of whether you force the install.

I would recommend that you open your terminal and do a "uname -a" to verify that you are indeed booted into the 32-bit kernel, just in case and all that.

Note, if your disk image is read only, you may need to copy the installer to your local disk first. Some versions of the DisplayLink Driver DMGs are RW while some are RO.