Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
OpTiCz

Default Please post a OS X Snow Leopard 64-bit driver

I don't get what's with all the feet dragging.
We were supposed to get an OS X 64 bit driver last year.
Where's it at?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
olk

x2. we need 64bit driver !
Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
simplymuzik3

Would a 64 bit driver dramatically increase performance? Will it be noticeable? I really hope DisplayLink gets some real drivers for Snow Leopard, not all this beta stuff!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
capillya

Last time I checked the forum, 64 bit was supposed to come out late 2009? It's now almost February 2010. Any news on a 64-bit support yet???
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Jonhendry

Default Why exactly do you need a 64 bit driver?

Snow Leopard runs 64 bit apps fine without running the kernel in 64 bit. If you're not running the kernel in 64 bit, a 32 bit DisplayLink driver is perfectly adequate.

The benefits of running the kernel in 64 bit are somewhat nebulous.

Some Macs with 64 bit-capable CPUs don't even support the 64 bit kernel because the machine has 32-bit EFI, or because the machine is on a hardcoded list of machines which don't support 64 bit kernel operation.

If you're booting the kernel in 64 bit, is there a reason why you're doing so?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
MCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhendry View Post
Snow Leopard runs 64 bit apps fine without running the kernel in 64 bit. If you're not running the kernel in 64 bit, a 32 bit DisplayLink driver is perfectly adequate.

Some Macs with 64 bit-capable CPUs don't even support the 64 bit kernel because the machine has 32-bit EFI, or because the machine is on a hardcoded list of machines which don't support 64 bit kernel operation.

People here aren't ignorant and I'm sure there are a number of valid reasons to want to run in 64-bit mode rather than 32.

It is not a question of why it's necessary. The issue here is the promise of a 64-bit driver by the end of 2009. Look around everyone -- DisplayLink has not had a single post on this forum for the last 4 months. Clearly, we're beating a dead horse. We're never going to get a response from them.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
tysonedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhendry View Post

The benefits of running a 64-bit kernel are improved memory management for users who are attempting to access more than 4GB total memory between their RAM and their graphics cards. 64-bit Userland (32-bit kernel with 64-bit applications) means that all memory in your system can be addressed, however can not be assigned to a single process.

I am booting into the 32-bit kernel on my Macbook Pro (8GB memory) because I regularly need to use my 3 monitors when I am at my desk. This productivity improvement exceedingly outweighs the slowdown by having GCC, Postgres or other tasks max out at 3.25GB.