Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #61
jdeuce77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
Gotta agree with andynormancx about the note on the driver page.....while you guys are partying in the mountains, people are still wasting money on hardware that won't work.
Agreed. It's the least I think your company can do to at least show responsibility in addressing the problem.
jdeuce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Some really good points here, thank you r8r.
Yes there has been a lapse in communication, nobody could ever deny that. We should in hindsight also have tested more use cases on more platforms as the changes in the undocumented and unsupported parts of the OS we interface to (you are a developer: try to find the graphics DDK for OS X) have been much more than what seemed at first sight.

On the other hand, if a software is resulting in an atrocious user experience with version 10.8.0 of the OS and exactly the same software has a much better user experience with 10.8.2 (5 critical OS bugs fixed up to now, 6 to go), how shall we define its quality? On my system I have only 1 issue left for example and I know it's another OS bug.
You also have to consider that the same exact issues are also reproducible (on the same systems) even with the other Miracle Devices often mentioned on the forum.
I think I'll write a separate post about the whole ML user experience.

Anyway, I wanted to reassure you about the work conditions in DisplayLink.
The dev team is fine, thanks, we are actually pretty excited about progress on the unicorn.
Our version of whipping has been a very successful week-end in the mountains to bond the team with a lot of physical exercise, laughter and good cooking. Unconfirmed reports say that alcohol played a role as well..
We have open positions by the way: http://www.displaylink.com/careers/job_board.php

Cheers,
Carlo

P.S. We might change our internal code name for 2.0, I think "unicorn" is brilliant.
Hmm....I don't think that a trip to the mountains is the best use of time until a fix for the problems is released. I definitely want my Pluggable device working properly on Mountain Lion. I don't care that it's only a 2.0 device, we have enough of these around the office that is an issue. I can see taking the trip after the fix is out, but not before.

Again, your competitors have these drivers out already (as well as ones for USB 3.0), which means they have obviously found a way around these "Operating System Bugs", so it is possible to do. Now, I do agree that Apple should fix their bugs, but if there are ways around them, then it is your responsibility to make your product work properly. I don't like the blame game, we don't accept it within our office and I don't accept it from those that I do business with. Bottom line is it either works properly or it doesn't.

I have started a Facebook page about these problems to try to bring public attention to the issue and help others not waste their time and/or money. For us, it was only wasted time as the manufacturer took care of us, but for many, it is also a waste of money.

The Facebook page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Displ...37576346278575
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #63
defilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Hmm....I don't think that a trip to the mountains is the best use of time until a fix for the problems is released. I definitely want my Pluggable device working properly on Mountain Lion. I don't care that it's only a 2.0 device, we have enough of these around the office that is an issue. I can see taking the trip after the fix is out, but not before.

Again, your competitors have these drivers out already (as well as ones for USB 3.0), which means they have obviously found a way around these "Operating System Bugs", so it is possible to do. Now, I do agree that Apple should fix their bugs, but if there are ways around them, then it is your responsibility to make your product work properly. I don't like the blame game, we don't accept it within our office and I don't accept it from those that I do business with. Bottom line is it either works properly or it doesn't.

I have started a Facebook page about these problems to try to bring public attention to the issue and help others not waste their time and/or money. For us, it was only wasted time as the manufacturer took care of us, but for many, it is also a waste of money.

The Facebook page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Displ...37576346278575

Not Sure Facebook is the right medium unless you get tons of people to write and link to it. I think I can have more impact writing on my Blog, and then hitting my twitter account, and asking my MAC twitter friends to populate the link so we can at least save some fellow Mac users from getting stuck in the same trap. My Blog is normally about FIber Optics, and Enterprise Network Theory and best practices, and most of my followers are Enterprise engineers, industry analysts, equity analysts in those area's. THis product does not exactly fit, but heck it is 500,000 people, and if I can get the link tweeted by all my Mac friends (You know them @cultofmac, @cali, @techcrunch, etc... we can get it in front of a million of more people in under 2 days. Heck, it only took a few days to undermine all of Egypt.... How hard could this be?
defilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #64
defilm

Wink Another way to get the message out

I have some IOGEAR USB-DVI I purchased back when on Tiger 10.4! Plus several Startech, and some Kensington. They all have the Displaylink chipsets.

I added a review for my Startech units. But when I went to add one for my IOGEAR, it said "one already existed". I looked. It was a review from 10.4 and 5 stars. It had a update for Lion 10.6, Updated in December 2010 I believe, stating it works great through Tiger 10.4, Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard 10.6, Lion 10.7. Well I updated the updated update, and note that for Mountain Lion 10.8, v1.8 is a disaster and unusable.

I noticed there are many others under every USB to DVI device on Amazon.com, and Newegg.com with 1 star. So I have reviewed all my owned devices, and that is what I love about Amazon, it notes that I am an actual purchaser.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE people to write reviews on Amazon.com. I fyou own the device, you can write it there. If you bought it from Amazon.com, even better.

There is a glimmering light:

Today I purchased a Mac Mini. It comes with a HDMI out and a THunderbolt port. Apple sells a HDMI to dVI cable, and of course the thunderbolt has a DVI. Native support for 2 displays with no USB 2.0 limitations. Word has it HDMI outputs coming next on Mac Book Pro's. RUmor, but Apple rumors are becoming more tangible.

I also know of a Canadian product OEM that makes many intelligent memory and laptop devices that is creating a Dual DVI from THunderbolt device. Not all that difficult to do since Thunderbolt is a dual channel technology, but takes some engineering. (Yes, being a PE & EE has it's advantages when it comes to assessing technology as I do for Wall Street every day.... Equity analysts are not all that technical.. they need technical engineers to tell them when products are sound, and which companies are leaders and aspiring, and plain poor.). Simple fact is if displaylink has 100% of it's revenues prior to OS X 10.8, and it can not support 10.8 OS X, which is some X% of category revenue, this will show up on the next income statement as a upcoming revenue reduction. Analysts need to know this information and they appreciate it.
defilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #65
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by defilm View Post
Not Sure Facebook is the right medium unless you get tons of people to write and link to it. I think I can have more impact writing on my Blog, and then hitting my twitter account, and asking my MAC twitter friends to populate the link so we can at least save some fellow Mac users from getting stuck in the same trap. My Blog is normally about FIber Optics, and Enterprise Network Theory and best practices, and most of my followers are Enterprise engineers, industry analysts, equity analysts in those area's. THis product does not exactly fit, but heck it is 500,000 people, and if I can get the link tweeted by all my Mac friends (You know them @cultofmac, @cali, @techcrunch, etc... we can get it in front of a million of more people in under 2 days. Heck, it only took a few days to undermine all of Egypt.... How hard could this be?
Please post away, Facebook was the best choice for me, but I will support every effort to bring this out so that people know about the issues and will know to avoid products with these chips because of the lack of support.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #66
MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork

Thumbs down

Any idea of when a fix for this will be done? Perhaps something a little more concrete than "end of the year?" I really wish I would have read these forums instead of taking the driver page info for granted. I would have purchased a different product.
MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #67
scelfo

Default A success story with a weird workaround

I've been watching this thread for a while. Today, I took out my mimo UM-710 monitor that has been sitting in my desk drawer since I upgraded to 10.8.

My mac is running 10.8.2.

I installed the 1.8 drivers currently available on http://displaylink.com/mac.

I have two normal monitors and the mimo UM-710 monitor. They are all working right now. Here's what I did:

1\ Download/install the drivers.
2\ Reboot.
3\ Log in.
4\ Plug in the mimo monitor and turn it on. At this point, the two normal monitors flashed blue like I'd expect but the mimo didn't work.
5\ Open System Preferences > Displays.
6\ Observe that there is a dialog for the mimo monitor but there wasn't a small draggable screen in the Arrangement tab.
7\ (here's the weird workaround) I change the rotation for the mimo monitor to be 180°.
8\ Content showed up on the mimo monitor and a draggable screen showed up in the Arrangement tab. It seems to work fine.

It also worked at 90° and 270°, just not at Standard rotation. Unfortunately, I never tried the rotation setting on 10.8 so I don't know if the OS bug fixes in 10.8.2 mentioned in this thread fixed anything.

Seems like the rotation triggers some kind of software scaling/transform that works around a bug. Now my monitor is happily connected to my computer and I have an ugly usb cable sticking out of the top of the monitor. Much better than leaving it in my desk drawer and getting more frustrated with DisplayLink as a company.

I hope this works for someone else!

I also hope that DisplayLink steps up and puts a notice on their website about compatibility problems with 10.8.*. A "Known Issues" post on http://displaylink.com/mac would be a good start.

Last edited by scelfo; 10-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.
scelfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #68
nathan

Default rotation

I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation.
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #69
andynormancx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
How about at least updating this page:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

so that it doesn't falsely claim that you support OSX 10.8, several people have pointed out this falsehood and yet weeks later the page still says that your driver supports 10.8, which it does not in any meaningful way.
I'm pleased to see that the page has now been updated to say there are problems with 10.8, well done DisplayLink.

However, the knowledge base article that they link to doesn't detail the most serious problems that I had with the driver, namely that it caused Finder and Skype to repeatedly crash and so rendered the machine unusable.
andynormancx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
ikki

Default Any update from DisplayLink ?!

It's clear that the DisplayLink v1.8 drivers have serious problems with OS X 10.8. For instance, I am also experiencing the crash of Finder - on a brand new mac with only DisplayLink drivers installed.

Do we have any official statement from DisplayLink?
In their "Mac software releases update" post, they mention that a new version may be available on Q1 2013. Any update?

Cheers,
Luca
ikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion